True Medicine

Trip Start Dec 03, 2007
Trip End Mar 03, 2008

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Peru  ,
Thursday, January 17, 2008

Shortly after arriving in Mancura, after another overnight bus from Huanchaco, I wandered into town sleep deprived and hungry to get some food and check my email. After receiving some very disturbing news from the homefront I sliped into a slight devastation, suddenly feeling very alone again. I guess it was just the right amount of anguish to catalyze my leap through the next portal.
I came to Peru for a variety of reasons but at the forefront of this was to "study" shamanism. This next chapter in my journey was to show me this is impossible. You do not "study" shamanism. It is a butterfly that you follow wide eyed and awe-filled into a world where coincidences seize to exist and only serendipity remains. You die to enter this world, it is a one way ticket.
So after I returned to my guesthouse to bury my head in my musty pillow and sob myself to death I was intercepted by a shaman that I knew of from friends back home. He was staying in the bungalo across from me. He travels to Boulder often working with people there. I was given his information previously to contact him in Cuzco however I didn't feel drawn to follow this lead but now here I was in the midst of crisis sitting with him on the other side of the country. Given the interesting circumstances it seemed appropriate to begin my training with him and he agreed to with the assistance of his traveling companions. I was immediately relieved of my sorrows, it seemed that to be upset about anything at this point would be like spitting in the face of god. I learned a lot from this experience, most importantly I learned to trust myself more than anyone. It is very interesting when the medicine teaches you not to trust the ones who gave it to you. I emerged from this terrifying and beauty-full timeless crash course to find a delivery from the angels in the form of an email titled "DIVINE INTERVENTION" advising me that the original shaman I wanted to "study" with would see me now. So I packed my things and off I went. 20 more hours on the most uncomfortable bus in the world, smiling all the way. I arrived in Tarapoto the following morning to wait the entire day for the road to reopen to continue my journey to Yurimaguas where I was to board a barge, sling my hammock and collect myself while we traveling down the Rio Maranon, a tributary of the Amazon river, through the amazon jungle to reach Iquitoes. My days aboard the Eduardo V were such a gentle gift before I delve deeper into this mysterious world of myself and shamanism. I spent my days in various forms of meditation and deep self-reflection. The first day, just before sunset, A rainbow appeared, a full arch, it was like the heavens expressing the feeling in my heart and reminding me that all is well. Occasionally the barge would stop in small villages on the way to exchange bananas and livestock and things. And even the playful river dolphins payed me a visit, playing in the wake of the barge. Sometimes I feel that the universe just spoils me, in reward for my hard work. Accompanying my slight anticipation is only an abundance of gratitude.
I have learned that true medicine is something that you take that reminds you how to be well and that the more I learn the less I know. This final chapter of this journey is to unlearn everything so I can take in the medicine that will help me remember how to be well for all of humanity as we truly are all ONE!
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: