Mel's diary of Yellowstone

Trip Start Apr 08, 2009
Trip End Jun 19, 2009

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United States  , Wyoming
Friday, May 15, 2009

The Grand Tetons and Yellowstone

Day 1
Us three girls woke up very (kind of) early this morning. It's Mothers Day! We gave Mum a special breakfast, then packed up and headed off.

We drove through Jackson until we reached the Grand Teton National Park. As we drove through we saw a distant herd of what looked like Bison. At the first lookout we went to, we saw at least 50 small running mammals, acting like mini-Meerkats. They were Chipmunks. We kept on driving looking at various overlooks(lookouts). After morning tea we set out for a walk to Jenny's Lake. We trudged through the snow until we reached the edge. The lake looked strange, a white blue and green mixed together. As we reached the edge, to our delight, we realized it was frozen. We threw rocks to break the surface, and tried to break the ice with sticks. We couldn't tell where the snow covered rocks ended and the ice started so we had to be careful near the edges. It was amazing!

Next we continued driving and looking at lookouts until we reached Yellowstone. We went over the Continental Divide and saw so much snow. It lined the road in giant heaps bigger than the RV. As we were driving along we saw Bison (buffalo) walking in the middle of the road. It caused a Bison jam but no one was going to chase them away because they were massive. We eventually arrived at Madison and parked our RV. I slept well that night.

Day 2
The next day we went to the most famous in Yellowstone ( the one Dad had been looking forward to all holiday). Old Faithful!

After seeing Old Faithful erupt among heaps of other tourists, we went on a walk to see the other geysers in the Upper Basin. We saw springs and geysers and mud pots. It was fun but extremely cold (the wind chill factor made it about -2). We had lunch as a buffet at the biggest wooden building in America . It was delicious but kind of expensive. Afterwards we went to Black Sand Basin and saw more geysers and springs. My fave was the Rainbow and Sunset Pool with the bacteria at different temperatures.
That evening Dad said the old geezer still wasn't tired of geysers. Ha ha ha.

Day 3
Today once as we started driving, the temperature dropped and it started to snow. Really heavily. Dad had to be careful because of the ice and snow on the road even though there were lots of snow ploughs. We had to drop our original plans and just drive down to the river for lunch then play in the snow. After lunch as we were driving along, on the side of the road we saw a bear ( Mummy bear) with two cubs. I identified them as a grizzly bears. Then we drove to a side road and built Frosty the snowman. Hannah and I collected big chunks of ice, and Dad and Jas stuck fresh snow around them. Afterwards, cold and tired we went home.

Day 4
Today was our last full day. We saw more geysers and springs, then went to Mammoth and saw travertine terraces. Then we went to our camp site and saw heaps of elk, their fluffy white bottoms standing out on the hillside. Then we went to a side road and parked. We had our dinner then waited. That night was our wildlife watching night. We saw a pronghorn, beaver, coyote, black bear, heron, bald eagle, bison, elk and a grey wolf.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: