Soccer - Montreal Impact v Portland Timber

Trip Start Nov 04, 2011
Trip End Jul 27, 2012

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Canada  , Quebec,
Saturday, April 28, 2012

I got up this morning around 8.30 as I had a wax appointment booked in for 11 and wasn't sure if I would have enough time to go back home afterwards before the Soccer.  So I thought it prudent to be ready for the game before leaving!

I had some breaky and put on a load of washing then had a shower and got ready.  I checked the weather and it said 0 degrees, brr, so I wore a long sleeved shirt under my Niagara Falls t-shirt.

I left the apartment at 10.15 which was good timing to get to Spa VMR in time.  As I had to catch the green line to Lionel-Groulx then change to the orange line to De La Savane.  Alexandra is very lovely and speaks good English and does a great job.  It only cost me $32 for a full leg and bikini wax!

Finished at 11.45 and back on the metro to Place Des Arts.  I had enough time to buy a BLT, soup and hot chocolate combo from Tim Hortons, go upstairs and eat it, and put a load of washing in the dryer before we were due to meet at 1 to go to the soccer.

I met Guddis and Carl down at the metro and we caught the next train.  A crazy coincidence but Miriam was on the same train in the same carriage! What are the chances!

When we got to Pie IX we made our way towards the Olympic stadium. We weren't sure where to meet Daniel so just waited around the merchandise store.  He called after a bit to find out where we were, and made his way to us.

We went inside and found our seats.  They played the national anthems of the USA and Canada and we all stood, before the game commenced.

The home crowd was nearly 20,000 strong, and Montreal Impact had an impressive 2-0 win over the Portland Timbers.  The Impact dominated the game from the get-go and had several good scoring opportunities in the first half ruined by shots missed high or wide.

Italian international Bernardo Corradi gave Montreal a 1-0 lead in the 76th minute on a penalty awarded by the referee after a Timbers defender was called for a hand ball violation inside the box.  Corradi beat the Timbers goalkeeper with a hard rising shot to the right.  Midfielder Sinisa Ubiparipovic made it 2-0 eight minutes later when he converted a pass from Arnaud before beating Bendik in a dash down the right flank.

It was a good game, and great that Montreal won!  The Olympic stadium is pretty huge and was not even half full, so the atmopshere wasn't as good as it would be if it were full, but there was a dedicated section of the stands for the hard core supporters.  They waved flags and scarves, cheered and clapped in time with drums for the whole game, impressive! 

After the game we decided not to try the metro as it would be pretty packed.  Instead we took in some of the sunshine and walked to the next metro station, Joliette.  We wanted to find a cafe or something, but no luck!

We caught the metro back home, saying goodbye to everyone on the way.  When I got home I got on the computer and did my finances and ate a packet of chips while waiting for mum and dad to call.  We had a good chat.  Afterwards, off to bed!
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: