Feverish dreams and magic

Trip Start Jul 19, 2009
Trip End Oct 25, 2010

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Bomvu backpackers

Flag of South Africa  , Eastern Cape,
Thursday, April 18, 2013

Four weeks I have spent in South Africa and many stories to tell, but not now, not yet, and maybe not here.
So for the moment just an update for family and friends.  .

After 5 days I left East London, thankful for the warm welcome, as always, at the Sugarshack backpackers, and went to stay at my friend Greig's farm.
It is not far from Cintsa, less than 20 km, a remote and peaceful dwelling. A wonderful place to be, horses, roaming wild cattle, green hills and amazing sunsets - I could see why Greig was happy living here.
Two weeks I stayed, doing nothing much - reading, writing, walking - maybe getting a little too comfortable I decided it was time to move on.
To my dismay a tick had firmly lodged itself in my neck. Greig expertly removed it, assuring me, as did others, you can't get the tick bite fever twice.
That is a myth.
'You can,' the doctor at the hospital later told me, 'and again, and again.'
This was 2 days after I had arrived at Coffee Bay, one of my favorite places. Known to attract tourists for its sex, drugs and jungle drums, but I think that is grossly exaggerated.
Not the drums, I can vouch for those:) 
The surroundings are stunningly beautiful, the people relaxed and friendly, at present there can't be more than 30 tourists passing through - the less the better far as I am concerned - but the villagers need the money the visitors generate.

Anyway, on my way here, good old bazbus, I felt queasy. Not like me to suffer from travel
sickness, but I marked it down to that anyway. Next day I felt worse, feverish, head-aches and wild dreams. Then I remembered the tick bite, oh no, not again, but by now people were starting to fuss - apparently I apeared unwell.
The long and the short of it is I ended up in Zithulele hospital, with a needle in my spine, suspected meningitis and/or tick bite fever. I was admitted and put on a drip, fortunately it was diagnosed as viral and not the much more severe bacterial meningitis. Tick bite fever? it was too late to test and I was getting the antibiotics anyway.
Monday I discharged myself, not wanting to take up a much needed bed and I'd rather recuperate at the Bomvu, which I am doing now. Again, moved by the welcome back, the kind concern – after three days, everyone here, even in the village people I don't know, still inquires after my health every time we meet.
Fortunately I can tell them I am feeling much better.

Weather has been a perfect mix, sunny, cloudy, hot and cool, wind and rain now. I have found a guide who will take me to Port St Johns. If I am strong enough we will leave Sunday. It's said to be a strenuous walk that can take five or six days. Looking forward to it very much.

If I am lucky it could turn out to be one of my best experiences.
If not, it will still be an adventure – the magic ingredient of life...
...only a fool would not want to know what that might be.

Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: