Trip Start Oct 05, 2009
Trip End Oct 31, 2013

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed

Flag of Australia  , South Australia,
Sunday, October 16, 2011

OCTOBER 16, 2011

JOURNEY: Lipson Cove, Port Neill, Arno Bay, Port Gibbon, Cowell, Whyalla 200kms

WEATHER: Warming up to hot weather-

It was time to move on and it had become a bit windy at Lipson Cove, so it was not to difficult to get going.

Despite the wind it was a pretty day as we visited Port Neill and Arno Bay; we bought a few necessities at Arno Bay including the much loved "Weekend Australian" for an overview of the week's news and the newly discovered Crossword in the SA Sunday Mail that Kath has become addicted to.

We realised that we were a bit low on drinking water- our tank holds 120 litres- but couldn’t find a tap; luckily a council worker was emptying garbage bins  Arno Bay, and offered to replace the tap in the park area and we took on half a tank! Lucky, as we are not sure that our next stop will have potable water.


We found the turn off to Port Gibbon with a few hiccups and got a bit nervous when we reached an intersection on the gravel road with a very deep muddy pool of water. Kath walked a bit further and met a “local” who said that was the only dodgy bit so we climbed the incline and made it through.


We were a bit disappointed with Port Gibbon free camp, especially after Lipson Cove; it was a small plot among the holiday shacks and minded by local volunteers. There were just 3 other motorhomes/vans on site and we were told that this is rare and the place is usually full.

The beach below was lovely and went for kilometres so we trekked for a few hours during low tide and appreciated the red cliffs, where galahs, sparrows and hovering kestrels had used the hollows for nesting; noisy! Apparently this area was where prawing of the gulf began in the 1960’s.

Strolled the beach again early morning and then we packed up and headed back onto the Lincoln Highway.

The beach was the main attraction for us and the little town had some interesting shacks and a few were for sale but we said "no deal"; we met some intriguing campers while here and admired the bravado of an elderly couple who travelled the back roads in their 2WD coaster, undeterred by corrugations and other challenges- "just go slow".


Next stop was the town of Cowell, where we called into Schultz Farm to get some quondong jam and chutney which was delicious and then into the Turners seafood place to get more fresh oysters- they had just come in on the trucks and we watched them being shucked and swallowed a sample before buying. We also bought a kilo of Spencer Gulf prawns.

We didn't find too much else  that was interesting around Cowell so drove to Whyalla and had lunch at the foreshore again and by now it was very hot, mid to high 30's.

Some folk that we met at Port Gibbon told us that Point Lowly was such a great free camp that they stayed 13 days so that will be our next stop.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: