Trip Start Oct 05, 2009
Trip End Oct 31, 2013

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Australia  , Tasmania,
Friday, January 1, 2010


On New Years Eve we went in search of a spot to watch the full moon rise above the ocean and the sun set on the other side; we decided that the block would be as good as any place, and we set off with a cooler and some beers to watch the sun set and the moon rise.

As the time neared 8.34pm the clouds rolled in and lightening streaked the sky with the sound of thunder in the distance. The wind roared in and spits of rain bathed us as we raced back to the truck. We did witness the colours of the sun setting but didn't catch the moon until some hours later when the clouds had moved out to sea.

The weather puts on another great show!

We laughed that this was Sheila’s first NY away from the South Bank event in 15 years and that we would never have guessed this time last year that we would be in this remote spot surrounded by forest, the D’Entrecasteaux Channel and peace and quiet! From a crowd of 100,000 noisy revelers that needed constant monitoring to just the 2 of us with no responsibilities except to take advantage of this glorious natural event.  Happy New Year and bring on 2010.

January 1 marks 3 months since we vacated our house in Kenmore and there is no looking back.


 A bush fire in the ranges behind the house was first noticed by Sheila on New Year’s Day and gradually the clouds of smoke thickened and by Monday night we could see a flicker of flames. Apparently the lightning from N Y Eve had caused the out break.

We became nervous and so onto the internet to check out the Tasmanian Fire Service website with information about current fire conditions. “The Dover fire is burning in inaccessible forest and fire fighters are on standby.” The Alert Level was “Advice” and we read through the information about what to do if the Alert Level was raised to a more serious level!!!!!

We decided that we would hear sirens if things worsened as the fire station is just 3 doors down the road, so we turned in and rested ok except for the dogs barking very loudly at about 1am but the fire in the ranges looked no more serious so back to sleep!

On the following evening the level of alert for our area had been raised to “Watch and Act” and we watched the flames creep across the ridge behind us. We decided to pack the van and make preparations for departure if necessary as per the Tasmanian Fire Service website advice; fire crews were door knocking houses in the nearby Glenbervie Road. Luckily there was no breeze but because the fire was so close it was hard to be complacent.

We checked with Mick and Ulla in London for any instructions in case of evacuation. By 1am we decided to retire and we were happy to hear a brief but heavy shower make contact with the roof an hour or so later. By morning the advice was that back burning had been conducted and that the fire was now “contained” and “being controlled”. At various stages after the wind picked up quite strongly, the fire looked like it was gaining energy again.

The danger passed but left Dover smoky and pale.

Green and cool, Southern Tasmania was the last place we would have anticipated encountering a bush fire threat. Sadly a more rampant fire is still burning up north and threatening property and forests. 
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: