Trip Start Oct 05, 2009
Trip End Oct 31, 2013

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed

Flag of Australia  , New South Wales,
Friday, November 20, 2009


POTATO POINT via Kiama, Gerringong, Ulladulla, Bateman's Bay, Moruya, Bodalla.

Beachcomber Holiday Park $27pn

Mileage: 7513

Very hot up to 47

We remembered visiting the Blow Hole at Kiama many years ago so we decided on this destination for breakfast. Kiama means"where the sea makes a noise” but today it was a mini blow. We were absolutely fascinated by the sea baths below us and watched swimmers doing laps up and down the sea water pool; mostly oldies, locals probably!

Heading south we took the coast road through Gerringong, once again gorgeous is the word and hot was the temperature!!! The Seven Mile Beach is pretty special and unexpectedly we passed several vineyards but we didn’t stop to check them out; next time! We did however buy half a kilo of cherries from Young at roadside, small but tasty!

We stopped for lunch at Ulladulla at the lighthouse headland and admired the coastal views.

We bypassed Bateman’s Bay as we were keen to reach our destination; the temperature at Moruya when we filled up with diesel was 47 degrees!

We were confused at this stage, about whether Congo or Potato Point should be our next destination until the really helpful lady at Moruya Info. Centre clarified our decision; it was great to get a personal opinion from someone who had visited both spots instead of the generic response that most information centre staff offer.

We drove onto Bodalla, a lovely historic village famous for its cheese. With such high temperatures we did not make a stop there, but headed 10 kms east to Potato Point, Blackfellas Beach and an unbelievable 20 degrees cooler. 
Annie, Kath’s sister from Melbourne rang as we arrived and Kath must have sounded hysterical describing this astonishing beach camping ground and an equally astonishing change in temperature.

We were allocated a beach front site;

there were only a few campers but a small crowd checking into the cabins dotted around this beautiful park!

We found out they were from W.I.R.E.S doing a weekend training program. We were so happy with our choice after a long hot day on the road.

Strangely after an hour, as we walked along the beach a hot wind came in from land and took the temperature up to 40+ degrees so the only place to be was in the freezing ocean and everyone flocked to the beach to cool off.  The ocean is very rough and dangerous; you can see the rips everywhere so we all kept to the shallows. Weird to feel such cold water and such intensely hot air.

Fortunately but again so strangely, a low mist moved in from the ocean around sunset and a quick drop in temperature followed and by evening it was on with the warm clothing!!!

Facilities here are brand new and very 5 STAR! No power to sites but with our solar panels this is no problem for us!

Apparently permanent vans and shacks were positioned along the foreshore until recently when National Parks cleaned up the site and moved the so called "permanents” further back and leased the business to a private operator. The old fireplaces remain!

Sitting outside our van on this still cool night, having enjoyed our meal and finishing off a bottle of red we felt everything in the world was perfect. “Should roll the awning up because storms are predicted!” we said but didn’t move.

Suddenly without warning this tornado like wind whirled over us and under Sheila’s disaster strategy we let everything else go into the night and grabbed onto the awning with no way of rolling it up without help. Well, luck would have it that our neighbour was walking by and answered our calls for help. Sheila remained in charge; Kath and he followed instructions and we were able to roll it safely away. Another lesson learned: when the awning is not required roll it away or risk losing it.

Out of this event we met our neighbours as they returned our dinner plate, one went missing a long while longer, undies, books and wine glasses which had all blown away from our site. We joined them at their camp site later to exchange stories after we offered to help a young family whose camper trailer had disintegrated under the wild conditions but they were contacting the park operator to move into a cabin and crammed the remains on the tent into the trailer. There was no way they were going to try again and the camper was brand new so dad was going to cram it …… when he got back to town and to the retailer.

We decided to batten down the hatches for the night so slept with the rear doors and ceiling vent closed! Usually we leave everything open fro maximum ventilation and to appreciate the sound of the ocean.

Weather was warm and a little overcast. We walked along the beach for 45mins to the town of Tuross on Saturday to buy newspapers and check out the shops; the lake along the way was land locked but a fisherman told us he was catching flathead.

Special treats/events at Potato Point were:

Humpback whales and calves slowly making their way south only 50 metres from shore on the calm ocean,

Dolphins surfing in the emerald water,

Yellow tail black cockatoos chomping on Banksia seeds and posing for photos,

Kangaroos and wallabies with their young our constant companions at camp,

and kookaburras spending their whole time on the shore eating little crabs.

 Sadly many shearwaters dead on the beach so close to their destination after migrating for so far!! Probably swept ashore by storms!

This was a perfect beach front camping experience but we needed to move on!
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: