What's that down there?

Trip Start Sep 07, 2011
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
down a dirt lane
What I did

Flag of Peru  ,
Monday, October 10, 2011

From Lima we had a 7 hour bus journey to Nazca. We arrived in Nazca at about 10pm and had to change bus to get a mini-bus to our hotel.  All seemed fine until we turned off the main road onto what can only be described as a dirt track – a very bumpy dirt track.  Peeking out of the windows into the darkness I saw huts which, looked a little like the favellas I had seen in Rio and then a wild dog ran across the road.  Where were we being taken?  However, we turned into our hotel – the gates were locked – which seemed very nice.  We were even promised a pool!  Tired, we all headed to bed for an early night.

The next day myself, Andre, Sebastian, Anita and Tara went for our flight over the Nazca Lines: these are images cut out of the stone which can only be seen from above; it's a bit of a mystery as to how they came about.  We had been warned not to eat too much for breakfast because some people get sick on the flight.  But, I can’t go without breakfast, so I ate it anyway.

Full of anticipation, we were weighed, we waited and finally got on our tiny, tiny plane.  It was very exciting – I’ve never been on a plane which only holds 5 passengers and two crew before.  Up we went, and were told what we were supposed to be looking at.  The only problem was that I couldn’t really see anything!  Once I got my eye in a bit, I saw the 'astrounaut’ and some of the birds – missed the monkey though.   Bumping along switching from turning left to right, so everyone could see, was a bit of a tummy turner and when I turned around Sebastian had turned a grim grey colour.  Pointlessly, I asked him how he was, just before he threw up.  His supposed friend Andre thought this was hilarious and took several photos of the sick man!

Landing was smooth and as soon as we hit the ground Sebastian started to look better (after disposing of two bags of his breakfast in the bin).  Andre however, started to look a bit whoosy.  Karma perhaps! 

The afternoon was spent in and around the pool with some cubre libres which was fab.  Dinner followed which was a traditional meal cooked in the ground.  A small ceremony took place and we all drank some coca tea and then our dinner was dug up.   It looked spectacular and we were all very hungry as it took 3 hours to prepare.  Dinner consisted of corn on the cob, mashed corn wrapped in vine leaves, pork, chicken and potatoes.  It was rather tasty!

Next up, night bus to Arequipa.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: