One night at Bumbun Kumbang

Trip Start Unknown
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Malaysia  ,
Friday, February 5, 2010

For some reasons, I just like the word 'bumbun'. Many times while I was typing this entry, I misspelled it as 'bumbum'. We were going to sleep in the jungle tonight and Saturday night. We checked out of Mat Leon Village and made our way to Bumbun Kumbang (Kumbang Hide). Kumbang in Malay means beetle.

After brekkie, the boat guy picked us up at Mat Leon's floating jetty. I did a little bit of fishing while we waited and I caught three fish. I asked the lady that worked there what kind of fish were they, and she said they were 'Ikan Badul'. I snorted a bit when I heard that because last time I checked 'Badul' was the name of a famous Malaysian comedian. I left the fish for them to keep in their aquarium. Then the boat sent us to Kuala Tahan where we had a very scrumpdelicious lunch before we started our journey to Bumbun Kumbang.

We took a boat to Kuala Trenggan, which cost RM 50 per person for a return trip. So we asked them to pick us up in two days time. It was a nice big boat with a roof. A nice change because I was starting to get burnt alive. Unfortunately after 15 minutes upstream, we had to change to a smaller boat because the river was too shallow. However, the boat ride was awesome and we arrived safely at Kuala Trenggan.

There were many abandoned chalets at Kuala Trenggan. From there, we had to trek for another 2km to Bumbun Kumbang. It was not a very long trek but it was pretty interesting. There were many muddy trails and parts that went up and down. We were sweaty, tired and smell as roses (not!) when we finally arrived at the hide. We noticed that there was one person there already, but he left his stuff and probably wandered off looking for animals. We just dumped our stuff and went out looking for the nearby Trenggan river because we heard that we could swim there. We were disappointed when we found out that it was not as nice as we thought it would be. So we went back to the hide. When we got back, there were 7 people already in there including us. We all set up our stuff before it became too dark, and we sat patiently looking outside for any sign of animals. So far, only one squirrel. It came into the hide and stole an orange from one of us!

The last two person arrived at the hide around 6:30pm and that put the grand total of 9 people. All of them were foreigners except myself. The jungle came alive at night. It was dark but you could hear all sorts of sounds. Outside it was total darkness except some flickering fireflies and the stars on the sky. Very peaceful and relaxing. We tried not to make too much noise, hoping that some big animals would come near the salt licks. After 9:00pm most people gave up and went to sleep. I stayed up with another avid animal watcher from Belgium, determined to see some big animals. At around 10:00pm we saw a couple of porcupines looking for food at the clearing in front of the hide. We heard lots of noise in the jungle (we thought that they were wild boars) but they were never within our sights. Finally at almost midnight, we all went to sleep. We didn't see many animals but the experience was great.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


Zahari on

Please share your your real experience with Taman Negara Facebook fans.


Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: