On my way.....

Trip Start Feb 14, 2010
Trip End Mar 06, 2010

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
AA Flight 70

Flag of United States  , Texas
Monday, February 15, 2010

What a difference flying in Business Class versus economy was. We were on a 777 in the same cabin, but there was a partial wall behind the BC seats.  Where as we were 2 / 3 / 2, economy was 3 / 5 / 3.  First class was up front and other than seeing them briefly as I loaded, I could not see much more.  I cannot wait for the trip home when I get to try one of the pods they have there!

Before we took off from Dallas, I had a glass of champagne and I was offered my choice of newspaper.  Before ordering my dinner and breakfast, I received a printed menu with a painting on the front by a Venezuelan artist which I thought timely as the mother of my cousin I was going see if Venezuelan!  (See my blog on Meals in the Premium Classes if you are interested on my food choices.) There were earplugs waiting by my seat for me and I was silently cursing out my sister for talking me out of packing my headphones when Ryan came back with a pair of over the ear ones for me. (Ryan is mentioned in my meal blog too.  Great steward!)  Earphones were nice noise canceling Bose ones that once I figured out you had to turn them on, things went a LOT better! :) First thing I did was watch the video on how to operate my seat.  Then, since the flight stats were being projected on the big screens at the front of the cabin, I decided to play video poker for a while.

I was just starting to play when they came through with hot towels to clean your hands.  Just after that, the towels were picked up and the hot nuts were served.  An announcement was made that we were going to be going a little further north (over Youngstown, Ohio) due to weather conditions.  I could totally believe that as once we got out of California, I did not see much of the ground.  When I was not talking with my neighbor Vic, I would occasionally glance out the window and all I saw were clouds as far as the eye could see.  Landing in Dallas there was snow everywhere (heard they had another storm so I am glad I was not stuck there!), but you could not see that until we were but a few thousand feet up.

When we hit our cruising altitude of 33,000 feet speeding towards Europe at a speed of 628 mph, they served dinner.  Gave me something to do as it was not until we were around Cincinnati that the cloud cover broke and all I could see was a snowy wonderland.  That lasted until we hit just north of Youngstown and it started to cloud up again.  I was busy enjoying my filet, so I did not take any pictures, but the sunset was nice.  At some point they must have decided to go up as, we were doing about 583 mph at 37,000 feet and it was a whopping -29F outside!!! (I am guessing they decided to climb to get out of the turbulence as we hit plenty of that from Santa Ana to Dallas.) As I was eating, I watched "Night at the Museum: The Smithsonian" which was a lot of fun.  However, I had been up since 6 a.m. on Saturday morning, so once I finished eating, I found myself nodding off a bit during the movie.  I woke up towards the end and figured I would just watch that section on the way home as I was going to try to get some sleep.  At this point, we were somewhere past Quebec but again, with that stupid cloud cover, I was not seeing anything.  

Now the fun begins.  I watched the video on how to work my seat, but it still took quite a while to get it right.  No matter how I seemed to put it, there was an uncomfortable seam at the bottom of my back that I could not get away from.  I had the seat up and down and partially slanted and foot rest up and down and sideways…  I listened to country and new age.  At some point, I even accidently rang for the steward.  All in all, I think I got 2-3 hours sleep in a 4-5 hour period.  I was half dozing when Ryan woke me up for breakfast.  I had really wanted to see the Atlantic, but I pretty much slept right through it. (Probably cloud covered too!) I opened the window shade eager to see my first glimpse of England, but it was still dark and all I saw where a few lights….. under cloud cover, of course.  According to the flight path, we were just off the coast of England east of Kingston Upon Hull and north of Norwich.  At that point I noticed that we were only 383 miles from landing at about 7:45 local time.  The next land we would see would be just over Rotterdam.  Dawn was barely breaking as we streaked along doing 577 mph now at 41,000 feet.  They say it is always coldest before dawn and they must be right as it was -67F outside!

As I finished breakfast, I noticed lights.  That is all I saw under the cloud cover.  I did at this time figure out how to shut the flash off on my camera and I got a picture of dawn breaking.  At this point, we were almost to Dusseldorf.  Only 38 minutes until landing and I was still waiting for my first glimpse of Europe!  Ryan came through to do a final clean up of dishes as a stewardess came through collecting money for American Airlines Change for Good campaign for UNICEF. (All the money in January and February is going to help kids in Haiti.)  Just after that, I FINALLY saw my first glimpse of Germany.  We were at about 4,000 feet doing 223 mph and it had warmed up to at balmy 14F.  I do not know what I was thinking, but I somewhat expected to see something very traditional German.  Instead, all I saw was a snow covered land with industrial parks and roads and cloverleaves… if I did know better, I would say I was seeing Dallas again!  Nevertheless, Germany it was.  And in just a couple more minutes, my journey would begin.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


Karna on

Glad to hear I was right and that they do still provide headphones in Business Class - otherwise I would have been in big trouble!! Heck, in first class they may play the music live for you!!

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: