Sour Grapes

Trip Start Jun 10, 2009
Trip End Sep 07, 2009

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed

Flag of New Zealand  , South Island,
Thursday, July 23, 2009

Work went the same yesterday as Monday; 340 more plants were de-vined by yours truly. My back and legs got used to it, but now my right hand and wrist are pretty sore from constantly grasping and pulling vines for virtually eight hours straight. While working I commonly came across dried out, crumbling husks of grape bunches that were still clinging to the vines, but yesterday I found a bunch that, while dried and shriveled, were still at least purple. Hoping they would taste like raisins, I tried one; it tasted like dirt.

We started to fill out a bit of paperwork at the contractor's office this morning, which meant I needed my passport. When I went to get it out of the front pocket of my backpack, my heart fell: the pocket was zipped up on the side opposite of the one I normally zip it, and I knew someone had been in it. When I opened it, my fears were confirmed, and my camera was gone. Thankfully my passport and other important documents were still there, but losing the camera was a blow. It's not so much losing the value of the camera or even being stolen from (easy come, easy go); not being able to take any more pictures of my trip is what made me sad. When I packed for this trip, I knew not to bring anything I didn't want stolen or broken, but the camera was the one piece of electronics I actually brought, and I thought if I kept it with me it'd be fairly safe. Apparently not.

As I got into the van to head to the vineyard, the weather seemed to mirror my mood: it was grey and overcast, and as we neared the vineyard it started to rain. We waited for several minutes at the vineyard and when it became obvious the rain wasn't going to let up for a while if at all today, we headed back. I don't like that I'm missing out on a day's wages, but a rest will be good. Also, it gives me time to go into town and get a bank account and tax number, both of which I need to work. All the banks are open from 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., the exact worst times for me to get there on days I work, so that works out.

The soreness from work, the blandness of the work and the loss of my camera have combined with the antsy feeling I got from sitting around waiting for work for a couple of weeks to turn Blenheim's taste sour to me. I think I'll probably leave after this week and get on with my getting on. We'll see how some things go today and tomorrow, but hopefully I'll soon be back on the road.
Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: