Heading Homa from Roma

Trip Start Oct 29, 2010
Trip End Nov 17, 2010

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Canada  , Alberta,
Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Our car was ready to go before 4:00 so we loaded up our bags (or they did) and off we went to the International Airport – well what a difference 4:00am and 10:00am on makes. The streets were practically completely bare. The trip took just over 30 minutes and it was raining, so the timing for leaving was good.

Used the Kiosk to check in and when we went to the counter were holding our breath to see if we were over our limit – we weren't!!! Well, between all three of us anyway – woohoo! They were able to tag our bags all the way back to Yellowknife, but we had to collect them in Calgary and transfer them after customs – yaaay!

We really wanted coffee but nothing was open before 6:00am. We did see someone walking with coffee, so Sherry & I hoofed it down to the opposite end of the area we were in and saw one of the places had just opened. We grabbed some muffins, croissant, Americano coffee and iced tea. Perfect – but oh oh, Sherry didn’t have her wallet on her, so Jan jogged back to the other end and back to grab it. Nothing like breaking out into a sweat at the airport before 6:00am! WTF…I thought we were done sweating now that we’re heading home.

Plane ride was uneventful – slept briefly, then read. Sherry & Gwen slept (me so jealous). When we arrived in Frankfurt, looked up where our next gate was. Had plenty of time (an hour) to get there. Located our gate, went for a bit to eat and drink, then popped through duty free, but were too lazy to buy anything. We then realized they’d be calling our flight, so headed to the gate.

While waiting at the gate Sherry said "you know, there a guy behind you’s (don’t look now) that I’m sure is some politician from Yellowknife. Gwen and I eventually shuffled about to have a peek and lo and behold if it wasn’t Floyd, our Premier. While waiting to board, he eventually moved next to us in the business/first class line (yes, next, not behind us) and we had a quick chat with him. Told him about our victory in Austria and extended vacay in Italy. He told us he had been traveling throughout several countries for work.

So the plane ride to Calgary was actually a little bit eventful. There was a slight medical emergency on the aircraft, so Sherry & another nurse from Calgary stepped up to the plate, as did a physician who did the typical physician thing having spent 30 sec’s with patient and expecting the nurses to do the rest. Sherry & the other gal looked through the first aid kit for an appropriate drug to administer, but they didn’t have it on board (although that was the most kick ass first aid kit I’ve ever seen). Paramedics came on board at flights’ end to take the gal off. Just before landing the flight attendants gave Sherry 50 Euro voucher to shop online on Lufthansa’s website! Excellent! They also said we were great passengers (aside from the Emergency) to have onboard.

We knew this delay was likely going to be a costly one cause our connection was only one hour from arrival to departure (in air) for the YK leg. We hussled our butts to get through customs which is obviously at the opposite end of the friggin airport. One last time for sweating! When we got to the customs line it was looooong. We just went under the barricades and proceeded to the very front of the line and asked a family if we could jump the line in front of them as they were calling our flight (showed him our boarding pass) and the next flight was 8 hours away. Thank gawd they said no problem, we’ve got way more time. This was 12:23 and boarding for our flight started at 12:20!!!!

Customs took all of 1 minute for all three of us and the snotty lady said there’s Nooo Way you’ll make your flight. Went to the luggage transfer area and there was another line. But then an amazing thing happened….an Air Canada employee asked if there were any passengers destined for Yellowknife – well we couldn’t believe our ears!! Woohoo, yes us, we are. She said, OK, follow me and get your bags on this belt and boot her up through security. You should just have enough time to catch your plane, but go directly there. There was only a few people in the security line, so getting through was quick and if we didn’t make our friggin plane. When Sherry was seated, she noticed our luggage too – wow, this is our lucky day for sure! OK Air Canada, we actually have good things to say about you – thank you!!!

Gwen’s mom was at the airport to pick us up. It was great to see her again. Gwen ended up driving us home and as soon as we got in the door, I fired up the truck to let it warm up a bit before heading to Canadog Kennels to grab our babies. Oh my what a beautiful sight to see them and they were soooo excited to see us. Apparently they had been pen mates with one of our coworkers dogs. Four beautiful Siberians staring at us. All of them giving us little kisses through the fence.

Ah home, sweet home!

Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: