Oh Canada - Vancouver It Is....

Trip Start Dec 21, 2007
Trip End Feb 08, 2008

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Canada  , British Columbia,
Wednesday, February 6, 2008

February 6, 2008

Flight from Bangkok to Hong Kong was uneventful. Able to check our bags all the way from bangkok to Vancouver even tho we were on 2 different carriers and had to get Air Canada boarding passes in Hong Kong at the airport. It was pretty seamless as the AC counter was en-route to the departure gate.

Had a bit of time to kill, so we grabbed a cocktail and bite to eat before heading to our gate. Checked out some stores along the way and grabbed some reading materials. Getting ready for the long haul home. Nice that our plane left on time and we were seating next to one another in a 2 seat row!

After the first meal on-board, I decided to take a sleeping pill as did Sherry. One worked for her, but I had to take another to sleep, so was out like a light until about 1.5 hours outside of Vancouver. WOW!!! That's a first for me, so I know exactly what I'll be doing next time.

Vancouver was cloudy, no surprise there, but it was relatively warm - especially compared to where we were flying back to in a couple days!!! Grabbed a cab from the airport to our hotel and man did we ever luck out again (it's a gift as Mary would say). Left Bangkok at 08:00 on Feb 6th and arrived in Vancouver at 09:00 on Feb 6th - freaky!! Well we were very much on SE Asia time I tell ya, even after sleeping the night away on the flight! Had to have a nap and absolutely admire the room we had with an incredible view of the mountains and downtown.

Got in touch with Brother Steve and hooked up for coffee once he was done work. Leila was in the middle of mid-terms and working so we decided to catch up with her the next evening. After coffee, around 8:00pm Sherry & I decided to head to the casino. We were still wide awake (OK, coffee helped with that one) so thought it best to entertain ourselves. Found a $5 blackjack table and proceeded to order a beverage and play for fun. Each dropped $100 to start. We had a relatively laid back table, but not for long! I'm telling ya, we just had so much fun and laughs that people came to our table to hang out and enjoy. One lady even commented - you know I'm losing a bit of money but having such a good time, I just don't care!

Well by the end of the night, even the wait staff kept lingering around every now and then. We got the last call for alcohol warning a couple times. So we decided to leave around 3:00am and gathered all of our chips. Well if we didn't come out ahead by 12 beers and $40. Yep, had our original $100 each, plus cab fare and late night snack fare. So we basically played and drank for free. Oh the Karma.....

When we left the casino there was snow everywhere. We thought, what the heck!!! Oh well, grabbed a cab and off we went. Ahh Denny's, home of the late night greasy everything practically. Just what we needed before crashing for the night. It was just around the corner from our hotel as well. Knew we could walk home in less than 5 minutes. Once we were done we walked as quickly as we could. How ironic, just don't feel safe walking these streets at night, but in SE Asia Everywhere we went, that feeling just wasn't there, no matter what time of night.

Ahh to sleep in...decided to get up around noon and make our way to downtown to check stuff out. Found a food fair and pigged out on East Indian food - nummy!!! We walked down to Steve & Leila's new condo from the hotel. After checking out the place we all walked downtown to Chinatown for a bit to eat. The place was pretty quiet as it was the eve of their new year's eve! Had an awesome meal and then headed back. Stopped into Starbuck's for coffee and said our goodbye's - great visit!!!! Sherry & I headed home and thought we'd have a couple Crown Royals and watch a movie in the room cause we were just too lazy to do anything else. Well, obviously still on SE Asia time cause neither one of us could sleep until about 5:00am!!

Steve came by and picked us up the next morning to take us out to the airport. Nice to get another visit in before heading back to the deep freeze. We are soooo happy to have missed a HUGE chunk of the super cold winter this year. We lucked out!!! The flight was on time, but we had to wait on the tarmac for about 30 minutes waiting for the new pilot to come onboard. That's the way she goes...
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: