Trip Start Dec 21, 2007
Trip End Feb 08, 2008

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Indonesia  ,
Sunday, February 3, 2008

Jan 29-Feb 3, 2008 (morning)

Well we are loving our hotel in Kuta Beach area. It's a very short walk to the surfer's beach and tons of everything all around, so very convenient. We are at the Oasis in this area. This was obviously one of their first hotels on the Island. A bit older, but perfect for $40/night! Has everything we need.

Sherry & Steve went scuba diving and I wasn't particularly interested, so decided to have a Jan day while they were enjoying their 2 day time dives (by a sunken American ship) and 1 night time dive. They had a great time and saw lots of sea creatures and fish. The sunken ship provided a perfect artificial reef. They ordered a DVD of photo's and a bit of video footage which will be delivered tomorrow.

I decided to have a massage, foot massage, ate Indonesian lunch, headed over to Starbucks to update the blog and then came back and stayed in the pool cause it was hot, hot, hot.... Popped in and out for the remainder of the afternoon. Just what was needed. By the time happy hour arrived, we broke out the scotch purchased at Duty Free. Myself and Clemens took advantage while Jim stuck to beer. After many hours of happy hour, decided to grab some Indonesian soup for din din right at the hotel. The guys both showed up and joined us for beverages.

Steve, Sherry & Marlene all came back later in the evening. We were kinda on our way by this point (around 10pm). Steve joined us for a scotch and Sherry had a couple beers. After midnight we decided to go to the disco across the street. What a blast - got in several dances and enjoyed music. Was actually not so loud so you could actually have a conversation! Jeesh what a concept for a disco. Ended up heading home around 2:30.

Next day wasn't so fun for myself, but Sherry was OK cause she came into the game much later than the 4:30 happy hour start. While I went back to bed, she decided to go out shopping. She found some great duvets covers and pillow cases, in addition to some stuff for the house. I wouldn't have had the patience so it worked out perfect. After another hour of sleep I got up and jumped into the pool - now that's just what the doctor ordered. Spent a good chunk of time in there, then after a shower felt like brand new again. Headed out for dinner with Clemens, checked out the place with the duvet covers and had them put on hold, then had an easy night just hanging out and visiting with the guys for awhile. Even went for an evening swim again cause it was just like bath water having being heated up all day from the sun. Ooo talk about another good nights sleep.

We were supposed to head out for a hike/trek up to the volcano top, but the clouds came in which rendered the trek useless, so we rebooked to go out sailing instead for the next day. We decided to hike around Kuta instead and check out the place. We probably walked about 5 or 6 kilometeres. Got to know the area really well. Checked out a new place for lunch. Decided to get another foot massage and purchase some more souveniers for family. Got some great carvings and t-shirts for folks. Excellent! Ended up heading back to the hotel cause Sherry's stomach was starting to feel off. We just stuck around the hotel for the rest of the night and vegged in the pool and then in the room. Had more of the Soto Ayam soup. We ended up watching a movie, then sleeping early in prep for sailing the next day.

Next day came and Sherry's stomach was worse, so we cancelled the trip. I walked about Kuta area for awhile, then grabbed some rays by the pool in the afternoon. Just hung out and popped out to the pharmacy to grab some pills for Sherry. Laid low and ended up getting some rain. Heard a bunch of thunder in the middle of the night and then heard the rain just a pouring. Wow, the thunder just shook the place.

Sherry felt better the next day. Steve & Marlene were leaving, so we saw them off and then rented a motorbike (scooter). We headed up the west coast with Erik and Somchai to check out some temples and relax on a less touristy beach. Had a great massage and Sherry a facial. The temple was just something else. They had some bats in the market area so we got our photo taken with them and Erik was surprised to see them awake and moving (photo explains it all). Driving in Bali is quite challenging - you definitely must be a defensive driver cause the rules here are different than back home. Driving on the opposite side of the road was the easiest part really. I followed Somchai the entire way as he's got the experience driving over several areas within all of Southeast Asia.

When we arrived back to the hotel around 5:30ish Jim told us it had poured like crazy while we were gone. How we lucked out again, I just don't know!! Hopped back in the pool, had a couple scotches and then decided to have a low key night. We all walked down the road for dinner and just loved the place we ordered from. They had an awesome salad and dressing was just excellent - a lot of garlic. Came back and just relaxed cause we were scheduled to go sailing the next morning. Read and crashed.

Well we waited for our driver the next morning who didn't show. Ended up coming by about 90 minutes later. When we got to the marina, we discovered the sailing was cancelled cause not enough people for it, so they rescheduled us for the catamaran instead. NOT interested, so asked them to bring us back to the hotel - which they did.

When we got back, Jim, Erik and Somchai were wondering what the heck??? We told them the story, hopped into the pool and got water logged again - loved it. Sherry's stomach started to act up again anyways, so it was probably a good thing. We walked along the beach later on in the afternoon and spread more of Oliver's ashes and enjoyed the ocean breeze. Had to grab just a couple more souveniers for folks, so picked them up. Sherry grabbed some med's from the pharmacy (normally need a Rx for in Canada) and started on the road to recovery, once again. Got back and hopped into the pool again. Man it's like the bath. Then had a loooong hot shower and packed all our bags up. We cracked our Canadian Maple ice wine we bought when we left Canada. It was nummy, but super sweet. Visited with the guys, then headed into bed. Wow, another great night's sleep.

Woohoo, another week, another country! This morning we awoke very excited about heading to Singapore. Sad about leaving Bali, but excited all the same....relaxed around the pool for awhile, then said our goodbye's and headed to the airport.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: