Elephants, Snakes, Cabarets and More....

Trip Start Dec 21, 2007
Trip End Feb 08, 2008

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Thailand  ,
Thursday, January 17, 2008

January 17, 2008

Today was a day of elephant trekking, snake show viewing and tattoo's. Started off the day with some elephant trekking. Sherry & I were riding a 16 year old female. Of the 30+ elephants at the facility, only one was male. The ride took about an hour and we rode through some of the hillside areas. Our guide even made some insects out of palm leafs (oragami style). Had an awesome ride. Our big old girl was just a grand elephant.

Following that, we visited a younger elephant who had a few tricks up her sleeve. She could sit, twirl a hoop around her trunk, bow, give you a massage with her trunk and a few other things. She also gave kisses. We fed both the elephant we rode and the younger gal. Read a bit about the history of the asian elephants.

Next on our list was a snake show, by one very brave guy! They showed us each of the snakes with the exceptoin of the most poisonous two. Cobra and King Cobra. This guy could rile them up and avoid their strikes as only a professional could. He would also kiss the deadly snakes on their faces - craziness! He lost a portion of one of his fingers a couple years back from a snake bite. Also lost his appetite for over 2 weeks. Jeesh...

After that show we headed back and relaxed for awhile on the beach. It was Co and Kent's last day, so visited with them for a bit after having a nice snooze on the beach. Had to pop into the tailors to get a fitting for our leather as well.

Sherry and I decided to have some East Indian food for dinner and what a great decision that was - it was so very tastey. We followed that up on our walk home with foot massages. Awesome way to end the evening. Hung ot in the room for a bit then got caught up with the news and crashed for the evening. Man, these beds are super comfy, easy to get a great nights sleep.

January 18, 2008

We decided to check out a few tattoo places today cause Sherry wanted to get hers covered up and one corrected and I wanted to get one of mine brightened up. Marlene wanted to get eyebrows tattoo'd as well, so off all went. We also wanted to buy some art and have it sent home. First stop was a tattoo parlour, but it wasn't yet opened. Decided to head over to the art place and we all found work we really liked. They agreed to put them in a plastic tube and await two more pieces Sherry and I wanted to pick up to include in the one shipping tube.

Popped back to the tattoo place after that and the guy didn't do eyebrows, but suggested a place on Bangla Road. I asked if he could brighten up my crappy Montreal tattoo and he said kup. Also asked him to extend it just a little bit, no problem about 2 hours and $90. Can't beat that price.

Sherry found the place for Marlene, and tghe lady boy did her eyebrows without her even having a chance to say no, let me think about it. They turned out awesome!! While she was there and I was getting mine done, Steve & Sherry went for a foot massage - fully enjoying it.

When they picked me up, we headed back to the market area so we could get our other 2 paintings and then brought them both back to the art dealer. We watched them remove canvas from their backings and roll em up. Then once that was done, we headed over to the tailors for more fittings and Steve ordered a leather vest. The prices were unbelievable really. We would have spent about 65% more in Canada for non tailor fitted jacket (Sherry), pants (Jan) and vest (Steve).

Holy crap we were pretty tired after doing all of our chores all day long, but what a great day. Got our fishing trip booked in two days as well as tickets for the Simon Caberet show the next night. Twas, by far, the most productive day! After happy hour, we were pretty tired, so grabbed a quick bite to eat and just vegged for a couple hours before hitting the hay.

January 19, 2008

Decided to have a "predominantly" beach day today. Headed over before just after noon and relaxed on the beach. Not too much more to report on this one cause we just took advantage of having a slow day. Was a nice break from the busy day previously. Only thing we had to do was go back to the tailors.

Planned on taking in the sunset, so started to head down to the other end of the beach around 5:15 and walked the 2.5 km's. Nice walk for sure. Ended up making the sunset just in time, or about 5 minutes to spare!!! Ended up taking some video (all 3 minutes for the sunset) and had a couple of beers. Visited with everybody and had a good chuckle. Met a gal that Tamara, Co and Kent had met the evening before.

We then saw Steve and Marlene at the end of the beach, so Somchai and I quickly walked over to where they walking cause they'd likely get lost otherwise (due to tide coming in - so walkway no longer visible). They had a quick cocktail, then we headed via Tuk Tuk to the Simon Caberet. Well this show was just something else!!! It was a broadway/Vegas style show with dancing, singing, comedy and costumes that would knock your socks off. The unique part about this show is it is entirely men, but you'd never know it. Many of the men were lady boys, or transvestites. These men were gorgeous. The auditorium was packed with tourists! Show's been seen by well over a million people. So worth the minimal price. Bye the time the show ended, we were tired. Just hung out in the room for a bit and slept like a baby again. Plus we knew we had to go fishing the nexgt day.

January 20, 2008

All right we're sooo ready for fishing this morning. Got picked up at 08:00 sharp and headed to Chalong Pier (20 minute drive) for our private boat. Welcomed aboard and started heading out to Racha Island. The fishing lines were dropped about 20 minutes after heading out. It was a windy day so the boat was rocking pretty good. Both Sherry & Somchai got a bit sea sick, but that's just the way it goes sometimes.

Clemens and I totally enjoyed the rocking cradle sensation. Felt so soothing and comforting. Our little fishing guy got one tuna on the end of the line and Marlene reeled it in. Nice size for eating, about 1.2 kilo's. It was enough to feed all of us at lunch in addition to the chicken, rice, cucumber and pineapple. Well the fish just weren't a biting that day. Our fishing guide only managed to hook one. That's just the way it goes.

As we were coming back in the skies were darkening and the wind picked up. Just as we set foot on the pier it started to rain lightly. By the time we set foot in the transfer bus it started to rain quite a bit heavier. Had to wait for 2 otrher fella's then off we went in the van. Their defrost feature wasn't working so they were wiping away at the windshield to see out properly. We ended up opening some of our windows to reduce the humidity in the mini van. Whew!!

Got home and were a bit dissappointed we didn't catch more fish, but knew there was nothing we could do about it so moved on quite quickly. We decided to go for dinner with Clemens and get to know him a bit better. What a great guy. Had some curry all around and were then tired after completely pigging out. Figured that would happen. Out on the ocean all day, then a great curry feast at night - does it get any better? Can get pizza and fries at home thank you very much!

Talk about falling asleep quickly. I had just a bit more energy than Sherry, so she was out like a light in about 5 minutes. I watched the news for a bit before turning in! Ohh, what a great day.

January 21, 2008

Ahh waking up without hangovers is just the best. Feel great and wanting to do stuff. Totally turning into day people and loving every single moment of it. Plus all the bars here are smoking which just sucks big time. We are very thankful they are open air so it's not as bad as it could be.

We decided to get some facials down at the mall cause our last day is a scorcher and we can't go into the ocean for another 24-36 hours with our new body artwork. Decided to take advantage of Thailands awesome cinema experiences. A loveseat fully cushioned and the back reclines in a digital theatre for a whopping $12 for two. Can you believe it!!! Saw National Treasure 2. Ended up heading to the market for a couple more things, then back to the room and enjoy the balconey complete with it's amazing view. Checked in with the tailors, but the nurses uniforms weren't quite ready.

Hung out for happy hour on the balconey, packing everything up in preparation for tomorrow's trip to Malaysia. Going out to say goodbye to Jasmine, Alex and Tamara. Then an early night to end it off perfectly. Had a couple glasses of red wine to end it perfectly. Our leather pants and jacket turned out beautifully. Woohoo, more from Indonesia, unless internet really, really sucks. Will also post more images from there as well.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: