Duenas and Iloilo

Trip Start Dec 21, 2007
Trip End Feb 08, 2008

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Philippines  ,
Saturday, January 5, 2008

Jan 3rd, 2008

Well awoke nice and early, which seems to be the norm these days. After coffee and breaky Sherry and I went for a small walk. When we got back we started to create some questions for the interviews we were conducting at a local high school. Yep, you heard it right! Ray & Vi asked us if we would help with an interview of what was supposed to be 7 candidates for 3 scholarships of 12,000 pesos/semester. Turned out to be 13 kids. We met the principle and sat in her office, for which we all chuckled having been there in Canada on several ocassions. There was 5 identical questions for each student. This was quite the process and we felt honoured to be a part of "potentially" making a real difference in some child's future.

Following the interviews there was a big lunch back at the Lau-a's for a real pig roast. We had no idea there would be as many people as there were!! We thought maybe 15-19 people, HAH what were we thinking. Try about 40 people and all teachers from the school, or relatives and friends! No shortage of discussions there as many people had questions for us. Philippino people are some of the most friendly folks around. Talk about respect for one another. Boy, could North Americans learn a lesson or two. I thought Thai people were friendly - jeesh. Following an amazing meal, all the teachers had to go back to school. Had an extended lunch, but the principle was there, so nobody got in trouble for being a bit late.

Ended up just hanging for a bit after that then headed into Passe to check out internet. Supposed to be reminiscent of ADSL, but dial-up comes to mind. Got a bit frustrated with the slowness (several kids gaming, so slowed the network down). Just did what we had to then headed back home after hitting up the ATM.

When we got back to the house, just hung around and visited for awhile, then had din din and visited some more. Was a nice and quiet night.

Jan 4th, 2008

Today we decided to go and check out some property on Guirmaras Island. What an adventure that was! Took a bright lime green jeepney, personal driver and the entire family came along for the ride. When we got to the pier, the real estate guy(s) met us, along with several other people nobody knew but decided to come along for the ride anyway. The boat ride took 1.5 hours and the property was nice, but not worth the price they were asking. Twas nice though!

Drove for a bit longer then stopped at a picnic area for lunch. Lunch is about 1.5 hours as well and Ray brought it along with him. Problem was, didn't realize extra people would be coming along for the ride so the boat crew didn't get any rice. They got Rum mind you, along with fish heads and pork from the pig roast the day before.

After that we were so tired from being on the ocean and in the wind. Boat ride back was about 1 hour. Truck ride back after that was about the same. We ended up stopping along the way to a seafood spot right on the river and where they have shrimp farms. Had some fresh fish, shrimp, steamed oysters, seaweed and crab (rice too of course). Also decided to have a couple of San Miguel light. Couldn't finish number two by the time we left, so brought it with us. Another 45 minutes back to the house so we could shower before they turned the water off for the evening.

After our AWESOME cold shower, we were invited to one of Ray's friends twin sons birthday. We headed down for 1 drink as a couretesy to the invitation. Well, before number one was done, number 2 was on the table. Everybody was fascinated with the white girls (and Grace). The twins were super nice! We think one was fond of Grace, but once she mentioned boyfriend, he kinda didn't come back. Talk about clearing the house so we could sit down. Holy schmoly. Of course we were videotaped as we arrived. FUNNY! Man o man a bit of white skin and blonde hair and suddenly you're a superstar. After #2 we headed out and walked back to Lau-a's which was just down the road.

Decided to have a night cap out on the main floor veranda and take in the clean night air. We were so tired from our busy day and all the festivities that it was short lived. We packed our bags up in preparation for our journey the next day to Manila and Bangkok. Had a great nights sleep.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: