A lovely island

Trip Start Dec 13, 2006
Trip End Jan 31, 2011

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Colombia  ,
Friday, June 4, 2010

Just a smidgen to say we arrived in Providencia after three days and three nights at sea.  Stopped briefly for three hours at an uninhabited island, Cayo Vivorillo,  on day 2 shortly after Steve landed a good sized mahi-mahi.  The weather was so hot and the water so beautiful that we decided a break was in order.  Some time to jump in the ocean and have a bite to eat---sushi for appetizers then some grilled fish.  The pause was great, but we still had a long way to go.  We arrived in Providencia around 11 a.m. on Friday, June 4.  It's a charming island where many speak English--always making our lives a bit easier.  Spent Saturday recuperating from the long trip.  By Sunday, we were ready to see the island, however, the bus wasn't running.  So we hiked around the town a bit. Steve took in the sights on Santa Catalina, a small island connected to Providencia by a floating foot bridge.  Mike and I found a local restaurant where we had a delicious baked chicken, potato salad and rice for lunch, along with the local Colombian beer, Poker. We sat in the back yard along the water front at one of three wooden tables in the ubiquitous plastic chairs.  The dishwasher kept bringing out pans of dirty dishwater to throw out in the side yard.  A few dogs lounged hopefully nearby.  Near the end of our meal, some media types pulled up in front jumping out of their truck with camera in hand.  They came into the backyard so we had a chance to find out what they were up to.  They were an advance media team for the upcoming visit of the President the following week.  Wow!  Pretty interesting.

Monday we decided to have a potluck aboard our boat for the boats in the anchorage.  We had a met a few of the cruisers already, but hoped to meet more.  We needed a few things from the store, but learned that Monday was a holiday.  What holiday, we asked.  We got a shrug of the shoulders and the answer that people needed a break, so they called a holiday!  Wow!  Oh, well, our guests would have to live with what we had available.  Most importantly, we were about out of ice.  Steve went to town about 6 p.m. as we were told some would be available then, but the boat bringing in ice never came, so the vendor chipped off a very tiny amount so that Steve did not come back empty-handed.

The potluck was a huge success.  There was a Dutch boat, a French boat and two American boats.  Just the perfect number and we had all had to make-do with what we had.  Tuesday we were  to leave for  Panama, another long trip, but instead we waited until Wednesday hoping for better weather. (Pictures will be added later.)
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: