Waking up

Trip Start Jun 05, 2007
Trip End Jun 06, 2007

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United States  , Colorado
Wednesday, June 6, 2007

So, after a restless night's sleep, it's about time to get up.  After falling asleep at around 11PM, I woke regularly after about 4AM.  At 7AM, I'm still not feeling the need to drag myself into the windy and cold morning at 12,000 ft (roughly 3650m if my math is correct), so I stay snuggled up in my sleeping bag a bit longer.  At around 7:30AM, I have to pee too badly to wait any longer, it's time to get going.

Although I was often concerned that the wind might rip the tent out of the ground, it stayed put...even after I got out of it.  The day was beautiful, but the wind was kicking up something fierce, and there were clouds rolling in.  No need to head up to the summit of Massive today, I'll just pack up and head home.

I load my stuff into my pack, which somehow takes up more room now than when I started, even though I should have less stuff (as I've eaten some of it.)  I throw the 50+lbs worth of gear on my back, and start the journey back to the car.  My decision to not summit Massive today was a good one as snow was falling before I made it back to the car.  As I drove home, I got into a couple pretty hard snowshowers...it made me smile that I wasn't somewhere above 14,000 ft (4365m give or take) in a windy snowstorm.  And since Mount Massive has a huge amount of surface above this mark, I could have been up there for some time in rather unpleasant conditions.

Even with just one night in a tent, there's nothing like a hot shower at home. 
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: