Trails and Tribulations

Trip Start Sep 10, 2006
Trip End Mar 10, 2007

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Peru  ,
Tuesday, October 24, 2006

I finished the Inca Trail!!!!!!
Will write more later and add photo´s cos we are going to catch a train back to Cusco in half an hour and a huge thunder storm just started so dont want to be on the electric computer too long.
Just to say it hurt but I´m alive and it was definitely worth it in the end, the scenery was spectacular and you can certainly understand why the Lost City was lost for so long.
Anyway will write more tomorrow after shower and washed hair (we all smell after 4 days of hiking).
Love Julie xx
Ok so a bit late but have been shopping so....
The day before we got to Cusco we visited Colco canyon, I got a bad reaction to the altitude, headache and nausea and actually vomited later in the day. I really wasn{t sure about the whole Inca trail thing at this stage. Anyway we arrived in Cusco the next day and had a leisurely day which meant everyone ran around buying energy bars and fleece jackets and fretting about how much immodium to pack.
The next day we took the sacred valley tour, and lunched at Pisac. I bought a lovely table runner at the market there to add to my ever expanding souvenir pile, I also bought a fab silver poncho which I love. Staying overnight at Ollantaytambo with our backpacks and our 5k packs to be carried by the porters as our only companions I spent the night wide awake and panicking. I awoke with a stinking cold and we were off...
Day 1. Wasn't really that bad, a bit up and down I made it to camp at 2pm. The first person got there at about 11am! One of our group didn{t make it, she got sick and had to go back on a donkey, the whole expedition back cost her a fortune and was utterly miserable.
Day 2 is notoriously the worst day, a relentless 4-6 hours uphill climbing 1200 metres in total to 4,300m. It was on the way that I got sick, the same nausea, and headache as at the canyon I quickly fell behind the group. Whilst one of the guides with limited English attempted to drag me up the hill by the arm I was trying to explain I was about to puke. By this stage as I was at the back of the group no one around me spoke English. Eventually they realised i wasn{t going anywhere and gave me a bit of oxygen. A Japanese woman appeared out of nowhere to save me{ she took me through a breathing exercise for 15 minutes, walking with me, one step per breath. Eventually I managed to do the last hour and a half using this method and reached the top ahead of some of the others, though was knackered. Another couple of hours down hill (not as easy as it sounds-all steep steps)and I got to camp at 2.30pm. I felt pretty ill so didn{t eat anything and went to bed.
Day 3, started off uphill but I took my time and was ok. The last couple of hours is another horrible downhill step route, and we were going along fine until we came across a semi-conscious porter who had eaten some dodgy berries and was lying in the middle of the path. Tasha and I stayed with him (Tash is a doctor ) for a couple of hours whilst some others went ahead and sent help, We got back to camp last at 3pm.
Day 4 we got up at 3.45 am to get to the sun gate early. Unfortunately it was so early there was cloud everywhere and you couldn{t see Macchu Pichu until we actually descended right above it.
The good things about my Inka trail experience included the views, the Japanese woman, toilets appearing just when I needed them (diorhoea not quite gone), being astounded at how organised the porters were, seeing all the ruins along the way and getting to Machu Pichu itself and feeling like I did when I won the egg and spoon race at the Gaer infants school in 1977 (not quite believing it but very happy).
The not so good things included being overtaken every day by a 70 year old porter carrying 20k of equipment on his back , thinking I was going to die on day 2, worrying I{d have to go back on a donkey in humiliation again on day 2, and every second spent going up hill (really if the Inca´s were so clever why not make the trail a bit more flat?).
Well we got back to Cusco 2 days ago, following a bus and train journey and have just lounged about and shopped. Had a lovely celebratory meal at a trendy little place called Fallen Angel last night, our table was a giant fish tank and the toilets had barbed wire decorating them which was a little disconcerting.
Tomorrow we head off early for Puno. We are then going to stay with some families at Lake Titicaca{s Amantani islands. I am pretty sure there are no PC´s as there is only electricity for a couple of hours a day so you wont hear from me for a few days.
I have managed to lose my Peruvian immigration card, so will have to pay a fine when we get to Bolivia on the 30th, or just stay in Peru mulling over both options.
We are back on the truck tomorrow has been quite nice not being on it for a week...

Health update- annoying cough (developing addiction to Halls mentholyptus), intermittant diorhoea, cold like symptoms, otherwise perfectly healthy :)
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


julienicholas on

hi!julie well done you must have lungs like a llama' hope the accomadation is ok in cuzco,a good soak sounds and best wishs franko

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: