Trip Start Unknown
86Trip End Ongoing
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
Although the ruins of Troy are confusing it was an interesting trip. There are nine cities of Troy, all on top of each other and dating back to 2500 BC. Experts think that the 'Trojan horse Troy' was probably Troy Xl. The land around Troy is very productive but deposition by the river has meant that it is now 5 km from the coast.
The current site was first unearthed by a german, Scleiman. He took Homer's works literally and came seeking treasure. He was of the 'Indiana Jones' school of archeology and much of the original material was just pushed out of the way. The jewelry that he found is now in Moscow museum and dispute requests for it to be returned to Turkey the Russian government has not agreed a la Elgin Marbles
While in Antalya I had a Turkish bath. For those of you who haven't had one this is my experience. To avoid being arrested I did not take any photos.
1. Take off all clothes and wrap strange red tea towel around you.if you are a larger lady like myself the tea towel only just meets in the front.
2. Follow short stout lady through the labyrinth of marble wet rooms and take a seat on a long marble bench next to a marble basin with hot and cold tap continuously running water into the basin. (seems they have no water restrictions.)
3. Use small metal bowl to continuously tip warm water over every part of your body. The room is heated so a steam bath environment develops. I met two nervous English girls who entered just after me. They were wearing swimming costumes. Hardly in the spirit of things!
4. After half hour I was VERY hot and all my gingers and toes were pruney. I was then called into the next room by the short stout lady.(She was dressed in a white cotton bra and red 'Bridgette Jones' undies. We were all wearing attractive plastic scuffles in a range of pastel colours.)
6. Be scrubbed all over with a looker........all over.......everywhere. It's somewhat embarrassing to have your tits lifted up so someone can sand you down. Of well, the English girls need to know what to look forward to. ( although with the tiny plums they had I suspect their tits will jus look like silly string.)
7. Be guided, still naked back to the basin for more rinsing and slooshing.
8. Time for the soap. SOS back on the salad and the short lady squeezes soap suds on you. This time when I was 'flipped' I was so slippery I nearly did a 360.
9. This is probably not an essential step but it was at this time that the lady had to go outside to see new customers. So I lay on my back totally naked looking up at the ottoman dome of a 700 year old bathhouse while too stunned English girls sat quietly in the corner trying to be invisible. It was very relaxing and I thought that at that moment I didn't want to be anywhere else.
10. Following more rinsing I was wrapped in a clean white towel and ushered into a room where you sat and drank apple tea. I was so clean I sparkled. Surely no dirt would dare to land on me!