Down Under

Trip Start Dec 07, 2009
Trip End Sep 26, 2010

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Australia  , Victoria,
Tuesday, December 8, 2009

So after 26 hours of flight and 40 hours without sleep, I arrived in Melbourne Tuesday night to a nice warm breeze.

It was definitely a good change from the freezing cold of Vancouver. The flights were about as good as I could of hoped for, Cathay Pacific kept me well-fed and happy. The 2 hour layover in Hong Kong was neat. The airport there was pretty amazing and Hong Kong looked like an amazing city. Unfortunately it was raining and overcast when I was there, but even from the little I could catch a glimpse of it looked like an unbelievable city, nestled right between the mountains and water. The skyscrapers were massive and there were plenty of them.

Arrived in Melbourne and settled in for the night with some family friends who were nice enough to put me up. Wednesday spent most of the day relaxing, went on a few nature walks and explored the wildlife and vegetation in the outskirts of Melbourne. Walked down the Yarra river and caught my first glimpse of a kangaroo and its baby joey.

Thursday I took the train into downtown Melbourne and arrived at the famous Flinders St. Station. What an amazing place this train station is. Huge with 20 platforms. I spent about 5 hours walking around the city taking in the sights. Walked to the huge Cricket stadium and headed down the Yarra to Rod Laver arena where I saw some of the junior national tennis tourney being played.
I headed back into the city and hopped on a tram that took me around the city limits, then went back to Flinders St. Station and headed off to one of the suburbs where I was staying the next two days with some family friends.

Today I ventured to St. Kilda which is an area of Melbourne that was really nice. Right on the water with all sorts of cool little shops. Reminded me alot of Beach and Denman St. back home. Had a nice relaxing lunch and walk along the ocean. Going to a BBQ tonight then back to the outback tomorrow to get ready for my week of volunteer work in Healesville on Sunday.

Must be going, take care everyone.

Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


Laura on

40 hours no sleep!! Dude that sucks. Hope you slept for about 40 hours once you arrived! It sounds like you're already up to some great adventures. I can't wait to hear all about them.

Caitlyn on

Wow eh! You're really doing this! I am so excited for you! I saw this weird thing in my email and without looking I was going to delete it then I saw Hi from Jsmart! It must of been a site to see a kangaroo and her baby joey. What an awesome little travel blog. Make sure you do as many nature things as you can. Climb mountains and swim with a great white for me! Enjoy the rest of your trip and I can't wait to hear from you again!

Jenn on

Im so excited for you Drew...already you sound like your having an amazing time. I cant wait to read your entries throughout your amazing trip:) Have fun

Jenn and Ben

Jacqui on

I have to agree with Laura's comment about "40 hours no sleep. Hope you slept for 40 hours when you got there!!" But I happen to know you didn't and that you wasted no time getting cracking immediately with seeing heaps of stuff. Good for you, Darling! I'm so incredibly proud of you. So you've experienced an Ozzie "barbie" - was it roo?:)

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: