Last day in Siem Reap

Trip Start Nov 08, 2007
Trip End Nov 24, 2007

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Cambodia  ,
Wednesday, November 21, 2007

(Allen here again)
Today was our last day in Siem Reap.  After sleeping late today (730AM) we got up and went into town for banana pancakes and coffee.  It was nice to watch the small town of Siem Reap getting going in the morning as we soaked in the sun!   We went back to the hotel to pack up all of our bags (which are getting more full and increasing in number as we get to a new place), checked out and went back to the "Old Market" area of town to walk around for a few hours. 

Jenna did some damage shopping in the markets and I got a few tshirts for myself (they are hard to find in this part of the world since I'm so big!). Jenna got hit up to buy bracelets and postcards from some of the local Cambodian girls.  Check out the video I was able to record-it is the same song and dance everytime one of them comes up to you.  After two days, and buying 2 packs of postcards from one girl, she started recognizing me and saying, "Hey, Mr. from the US will you buy something else from me!"  They were all cute and we felt bad for not being able to really help them.

We had lunch and took a taxi to the airport.  Siem Reap was a very small airport and when we walked out to the plane, Jenna was not happy.  She had never flown in a prop plane before but it went fine.  See attached picture of her face!

We arrived in Phnom Phen around 5:45PM and it was getting dark.  The traffic was horrible and it took us awhile to get to our hotel-actually we hadn't booked it but we just showed up to the guest house and asked for the nicest room they had with A/C.  Luckily, she told us it was availble and we would need to pay her the full 10 dollars for the night!  On a side note-if other travelers are stil reading this blog, we admit we don't stay in the typical "backpacker" guest houses so this was an experience all in itself for us.  As the security guard helped up to our room,  he carried a can of something-(bug spray, air freshner, sanitizer-maybe all three in one!) and he kept spraying it and smiling at us.  Jenna was a little worried. (I was too but didn't admit it.)

To finish off the night we had a tuk tuk take us to the river front, where there we lots of restaurants and little outside bars.  We walked around and found a good place to eat and enjoyed the sites of the Phnom Phen passing us by at night.

Back to the hotel for hopefully a good night's rest. (On the way up the stairs I stomped on a huge cockroach about 2-3 inches long.)

Still having fun-tomorrow's Thanksgiving and will be our first one away from family.

Allen and Jenna
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: