42 hours of Choo Choo
Trip Start Jun 01, 2002
74Trip End Sep 11, 2007
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
Just wanted to thank you all for your emails - really great to talk to you all and find that you are well. Sorry if I have not written back but time and internet time is expensive and with some of you putting pressure on me for more travel journal entries the stress is getting to me ;-) - only joking! ENJOY!
The Train - 5,500km
40 hours plus 2 hour delay from Winnipeg to Montreal. Yes 42 hours of confinment in a couple of seats.... 42 hours of watching weird people do weird things, 42 hours of an annoying train conductor giving pointless information over the PA, 42 hours of wathing people do weird things, 42 hours of trying to sway with the rytham of the train when trying to pee - did I mention 42 hours of watching weird people???
Well, what can I write about a train journey, not much that would really make a super exciting story, but after some thought I thought I would give you what I can which is statistics..
42 hours was spent like this:-
- That is I came prepared and took 3 books with me, so at any stage I would be reading 3 books for some difference but with my brain being mush by the end I had no idea what story went with what book and will probably have to start again...
- Yes attempting to update my personal journal on a train is quite difficult - especially when you attempt to re-read what you have written (hell my hand writting is crap to begin with).
45% - Sleeping (attempting)
- You would think that this would be much higher (well I did) but even though the seats were quite roomy for Economy Class trying to comfortable is another thing. Oh and when sunrise is out of your window and you open your eyes without adjusting to the light and the Sun burns your retina - you wish you had closed the curtains beforehand.
1% - Eating
- Hmm well in my first trip I was very organised with some biscuits and cheese etc, but running late this time did not have time to pick up supplies and paying the prices on the train cafe is a joke, with limited funds - so I decided to let my body do what it does best and adjust!
13% - Getting Comfortable
- This should really be 100% but when you think you have a position of comfort (feet resting on the headrest in front of you, your back slightly arched and your arms tucked under your body and you feel comfortable - until you decide to move and your body throws Pins and Needles from your little toe to your scalp - that is an interesting feeling!!
The other 5% not really sure what I did?? All in all, it is not that bad, the scenery of course is stunning and with a mixture of people travelling on the train it is short from entertaining!! So with no reconcilation of the day or date I roll into Montreal and a new city to explore...
Apology: In my previous log I mentioned that Neil Diamond lived in Winnipeg, I was wrong and it is actually Neil YOUNG (as if that makes it any better). ;-)