Walks in the Yachats area
Trip Start May 04, 2010
17Trip End May 21, 2010
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
Where I stayed
- Ocean Loop Road just south of Yachats. Quick stop for view.
· In search of tidal pools: Devil’s Churn parking lot and Trail of Restless Waters. Captain Cook Trail to see spouting horn. In the tide pools, we didn’t see any sea life. We talked about "dead zones" which are caused by an increase in chemical nutrients. I looked up this phenomenon in Wikipedia and found that off the coast of Cape Perpetua there is a dead zone of 300 square miles that only exists during the summer, perhaps due to wind patterns. This morning we had been checking the news about the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico. Here in front of our eyes we see another example of damage to our environment.
· Lunch at Luna See Fish House, Yachatswww.lunaseafishhouse.com No farmed fish. Yummy.
· Walking the Coastal Trail just north of the Overleaf Lodge.
· Saying goodbye to our new friends, Susan & Ashley and the serendipity of meeting them and how natural it was to laugh, tell stories, walk, explore and eat together. Fun.
· Walking the Coastal Trail just north of the Overleaf Lodge again. Walking where we’ve walked before but seeing it differently because of the wind, tide, skies.
· On the Coastal Trail, sitting on the rocks and just watching guys trying to get their kites up in the air.
· Had my hat & hood on to keep the warmth in my body – still, could hear the sound of the surf so loud! Love the sounds.