Day 18: The day at Rio Hermoso Hotel
Trip Start Dec 02, 2008
33Trip End Dec 26, 2008
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
Where I stayed
Saturday, December 20th
At breakfast, we meet Connie & Leonardo from Buenos Aires. Leonardo and his friends were here at Rio Hermoso Hotel several weeks ago for the flyfishing. Their wives spent the time on a shopping expedition in Miami! Yes, in Miami we have excellent shopping. Everything looked so reasonably priced that Connie purchased extra luggage to carry home all her goodies. We ask what else they did in Miami - nothing else she replies. That was all they had time for in one week! She said she purchased so much for Leonardo and their children that she needs to go back shopping again for herself. I guess this getaway to Rio Hermoso is a combination of flyfishing and romance (how could it not be here at Rio Hermoso?) although it was clear that they are thinking about a return shopping trip to Miami in the future.
We listen to the wind outside as the big picture windows get splattered with rain
The wind and rain seems to have receded a bit, so we decide to take a walk on the path by the river. From our luggage, I pull out our waterproof pants and jackets. We layer up for the cold, our first opportunity of this trip to wear these clothes. Today, we are glad to have them with us!
Fortunately, we return just as the wind and rain are growing in intensity. It's warm and welcoming inside
Wind...rain...and now fire! We ask if it is okay to start the fireplace and Jackie sets it up for us. We are both in the living room area of the great room enjoying the crackling fire and watching the "weather". Harvey begins to play his guitar and study some of his music. I see him making notations and very focused.
With my camera, I try to capture the wind, rain, and being inside with the warmth of the fire. I am losing track of time today and even the days of the week. I don't know how many times today I have forgotten what day it is. It's Saturday! The intention for today? "There are no ordinary moments". With weather like today and the sense of place at Rio Hermoso Hotel, that seems like an understatement!
I browse through the books on the tables of the great room; these are big picture books on local subjects - the Mapuche, gauchos, hotels in Argentina in beautiful places, fly fishing, deer. It's fun to browse through the pages and notice this and thats
I continue to read Miraculous Living, about Kabbalah. Here are the passages that were especially meaningful today:
· "Clear your mind and open your heart to the wisdom that births new realities in you."
· "If you let go of obsessive attachment to your outer world and of controlling the way you think things ought to be, you will find greater peace of mind. Pause, empty, open to the spirit of God within."
· "At the place where you are no longer attached to outside goals and are no longer clinging to expectations of control, you can travel into the different dimensions of worlds within worlds of being."
· "Pleasures of the moment which are hidden wherever you look."
· "Flexibility to move as life moves and to change as life changes"
· Play on words - "NOTHING remains the same
· About patterns & choice "Infinite patterns are available to you. It is for you to decide which patterns suit your growth and assist you in expanding your mind, opening your heart, and nurturing your body. Become the witness to your thoughts and the many ways in which patterns flow through your consciousness. The pattern, or template, through which you operate pervades everything you think, say, and do. You cannot run away or hide from yourself. You can only become more enlightened to what you are thinking and the patterns you create in your life. Notice the choices you make."
· "Even in a time of chaos and disturbance, the thoughts that form in your mind from the information you receive can help you move in a more positive direction. One thought leads to another thought; one direction leads to another direction; one action leads to another action. Positive thoughts lead to positive directions and result in positive actions that lead to even more positive thoughts. The universe of goodness is yours to have and to serve; it begins with the thoughts you entertain in the landscape of your mind and in the patterns of your behavior
I reflect on today's poignant passages and reaffirm my daily practice of personal intentions. As they become part of my everyday experience, they will naturally shape and form the way I think, feel and act. I like the feeling of living a process. It feels in tune with the rhythms of nature.
Harvey comes out of his guitar bubble and says that he has had a breakthrough in his study of music and guitar today. It is something that he has wanted to do for two years. So, all those days of consistent practice and exploration have brought him to this milestone! It is such a good day!
Lights out at 8:45 PM. Not intentionally! The weather has caused a power outage in San Martin de los Andes and we are on the same power grid. We have just started our dinner and in the great room darkness, there is a glow from the embers in the fireplace. We put another log in the fireplace and we are ready to sit on the couches and see what develops
It is not long before the lights come back on. Jackie tells us that the hotel's generator is creating electricity for us. We continue with our dinner!
When we return to our room, Harvey has two important findings:
1. With the power loss, we lost our connection to the internet. Harvey had found a streaming website for one of his favorite television shows, House, and had set it to stream. Harvey takes a break from his solution-finding to go to the bathroom and finds...
2. We have no running water and the toilet does not flush.
We go downstairs to report this and find that the generator is supposed to cover that, so it must be malfunctioning. The staff are going to call and see what can be done. In a short time the lights go on/off/on again and we are now back on full power!
The wind and rain are now stronger than during the day. We listen to the sound of the wind in the trees and the rain on the roof and our window. We nod off to sleep!