Few dragons. Lonely beaches

Trip Start Jul 30, 2007
Trip End Aug 16, 2007

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Maria Y Feliana

Flag of Indonesia  ,
Sunday, August 12, 2007

At 4:00 am, engines start working, for heading to Komodo, so we really can't sleep any more. At 6:00 am, we get up and have breakfast. I think we have been the only ones who did not sleep much. Disembark on Komodo National Park, real home of the dragons (we thought). The guide (not Mowgli 2, in the ship), tells us we are going to trek for more than 1 hour, but we have been walking no more than 5 minutes, when we meet another group guide running back to the entrance(due to indonesian character, we think something very bad has happened). After a short explanation, we have to return to the beginning (not so far), because a member of the previous group (of americans), has had a heart attack and fell dead. We have to wait for more than 1 hour until the police arrives and takes the body away. We start a shorter route, and we can only see a very big dragon in a feeding area. It will be famous, because we took lots of photos. When we finally end our short trek, we must return to the ship, but before we want to buy a souvenir, and of course, even lost in a inhabited island, there is someone who sells. After a hard negotiation, we buy a hand made wooden mask, with some dragons on it (there are more dragons in the mask than we have really seen). Return to boat, and after lunch, sunbath until getting absolutely burned by the sun. We are now dark red coloured. As the whole group is very disappointed for the non-seen dragons, we are taken to a tiny island with a white-sand beach, and we are left there for 2 hours, so we can sunbath, swim and snorkel. I enjoy it, but Monika does not, she just sunbaths, while all the rest enjoy the so different underwater nature here than home. I can see some clown-fish (NEMO!!), sea snakes (OUCH!), and many others. Nice, but that is not what we came for!
The boat stops in front of an island as the night falls (18:00 pm), and the tripulation tells everybody to concentrate on that island at 18:15. It is quite mysterious, but we do it, and at 18:15 (exactly), MILLIONS of bats, start going out from the island, in search of food, crossing over our boat. This exit lasts more than half an hour, and I promise we could not imagine there were so many bats all over the world, and they are all concentrates here!! Spectacular experience. Tripulation says that this happens every day, at the same time. It is really curious.

Supper on board, long conversation with the french family, and go to sleep. We must return to Bali tomorrow. Good night!
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: