Trip Start Aug 20, 2009
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Larissa & Brent's House

Flag of New Zealand  , North Island,
Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Jeff was up bright and early to go to the gym before leaving.  He arrived back at the bure with the news about the Tsunami and earthquake in Samoa.  We were both concerned, even more so as there was a Tsunami warning forFiji too.   Jeff had gone to talk to Alex from the dive shop to see what he could find out.  He had friends out on the sea who kept him updated on the situation.  If it was going to hit, it would have hit the north of the island, not the south where we were, but we were obviously still concerned about everyone involved, particularly having being there several days earlier.  The incident was made even stranger as I had had a dream about a Tsunami 2 days earlier and Jeff and I were running away from the wave.  We had talked at length about how horrendous it would be if it were ever to happen.........then 2 days later it did............................

After breakfast Jeff and I fought with the backpacks - trying to get everything in to 5 bags plus hand luggage!  While this was going on, Lucy and Dan sat on the beach wall looking very down, even more so because we had told them that they couldn't take their painted coral from Kids Club.

One of the hotel staff tried to cheer them up, it just seemed to make things worse and Lucy ended up crying hysterically again - she wanted to stay in Fiji rather than go to New Zealand.  That really made us feel good!  Dan was also really down about leaving his new friends - this was made slightly better as they were leaving later in the day too.

The chap was really worried about Lucy and offered to 'look after' their coral until our next visit.  This seemed to make things a little better, although Lucy continued to cry until we had been in the taxi for quite a while!  Everyone was so friendly and came to say goodbye - Naomi who had run Kids Club, even the lady who had done Lucy's hair!  Lucy and Dan got their photo taken with their coral and the chap who was going to look after it, then it was time for the off.

The journey this time was in day light so we got to see things that we didn't see last time.  We will visit again and do more exploring.

Once at the airport and after proper coffee we boarded the plane to New Zealand.  I ended up sitting next to a chap who had moved out from the UK 5 years ago and he said he had no regrets!  The strange feeling in our tummies returned - that feeling of going to the dentist!  We spent the whole flight either sleeping and thinking/talking about what was ahead.  Once again a very strange feeling.  For months we have thought about this day..........

On arrival in New Zealand we flew through customs and MAF - no problems with our bags - I am glad I spent time cleaning our hiking boots of the mud acquired in Iceland!  We had far more delays last year when we came on holiday.  We stopped off in duty free to buy two bottles of champagne - Moet to celebrate Larissa's birthday and our arrival.  I accidently knocked two other bottles of very expensive champagne off a display with my backpack - luckily they didn't break.......that really would have been a great start wouldn't it?!

Larissa was waiting for us as we walked through into the arrival hall.  Still that very strange feeling in our tummies but very glad to see Larissa and even more glad when all of our luggage fitted in her car!!

It really didn't feel over a year since we had made the same journey.  Emily and Izy were excitedly waiting for Lucy and Daniel at their house.  As we drove down the street they were stood on tip toe in their playroom window looking for the car.

It was so lovely to see them again as well as Maureen, Alan and James.  Once again it really didn't seem that long since we had seen them last.  They had brought cup cakes for Larissa's birthday so we sang happy birthday before cracking open one of the bottles of Moet.

Maureen had kindly made lasagne for dinner so that was VERY welcome after all the restaurant eating we have done over the last 6 weeks - I never ever thought I would say that!!

The kids played and played before collapsing in a heap.  A very big day ahead in the morning.

We were all exhausted but Jeff and I laid in bed unable to sleep as we were listing all of the things we needed to do!

Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: