Journey to Hawaii

Trip Start Aug 20, 2009
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Makaha Resort

Flag of United States  , Hawaii
Sunday, September 20, 2009

We left the hotel to get back to San Fran after a relaxing play in the pool and the mammoth job of packing up the bags! 

After looking at the paperwork to do with the hire car we realised that the car was meant to be back in San Fran by lunchtime............slight a call to the company was needed to stop them charging us an absolute packet.......all sorted.

We then had a trouble free journey back to San Fran through the fruit growing region of California - lots of strawberries and apples, but very hot and dry. 

Once back in San Fran we went back to the old hotel to collect a battery charger that we had left and ended up leaving the car there.  It worked out much cheaper as they didn't charge us as much and it was cheaper to get a taxi to our next hotel.

We then headed down Polk Street again craving for crepes and proper coffee in our now favourite cafe!  Then it was back to the hotel to get our taxi to the airport hotel - a rather large miserable chap who spoke very little English....oh and he drove fast!

On arrival at the airport hotel, we realised why it was so cheap - right next to the Highway, under the flightpath and our room was at the furthest point on the site.  Our evening meal was in yet another typical American diner which was already decorated for halloween!

Into the early hours of the morning it felt like we were sleeping in a lorry park and you could hear everyone else in the block!  Nevermind, we were up at six to catch the shuttle to the airport to catch our 8.55am flight to Oahu.

That all went pretty smoothly and apart from me having to have yet another detailed search we were soon through security.  Not just my bracelet and bra this time but the buttons on my skirt were metal too!

The flight as always was pretty straight forward and we all used the time to get some extra sleep - or try to catch up on lack of sleep in Lucy and Dan's case!

On arrival into Oahu we collected our bags and then made our way to the hire car company to collect yet another car.  Daniel was particularly pleased with this one as the back window wound down - not that we could wind it down because of all the luggage in the back!  Maybe later :-)

We then drove straight down to Pearl Harbour to visit the submarine Bowfin, the USS Missouri battleship and the Aviation Museum.  We had a fantastic time - we all absolutely loved the submarine and spent a lot of time exploring it.  We were just a little shaky with Daniel running up and down the top of the sub with very little there to stop him falling into Pearl Harbour.  He was so enthusiastic and wanted to press every button/switch he could find and kept wanting his photo taking.  Jeff and I really enjoyed it too as neither of us have ever been on one.  We couldn't get over the lack of space on board - a home for 80 men with only 36 beds.  They had to work and sleep in shifts and even had to eat their meals in shifts.  There is no way on this earth that I could ever spend more than a couple of hours on one of those things.

After spending time walking around the submarine museum we caught the shuttle bus over to the battleship.  We couldn't get over the size of the ship and spent a good couple of hours walking around - so much more space than the sub.  I certainly know which one I would rather spend time on.  Once again Dan was in his element pressing buttons/switches.  Lucy seemed to enjoy it too and they kept pretending to be sailors and kept putting on their American accents - very funny to listen to!  We also got to watch some aerobatics from a team called The Thunderbirds.  They were absolutely amazing, we couldn't believe how close they flew to each other and they shot around the sky, here, there and everywhere!  It was a great viewing platform, overlooking Pearl Harbour on a battleship.....brilliant :-)

By this time we were running out of time, so it was a quick ride by shuttle bus over to the Aviation Museum to learn more about Pearl Harbour.  Once again, a really interesting place to visit and I think we all learnt something.  Dan and Lucy loved the planes and kept wanting their photos taking.  The museum was on Ford Island in the middle of Peal Harbour and we got to drive down the old runway and see the old Control Tower.  Jeff and I both spent time trying to imagine what it must have been like when the Japanese struck.

I am so glad that we visited as soon as we left the airport, so that we had not wasted a day.  I visited Pearl Harbour many years ago and visited the Arizona Memorial but at that point in time there were no other museums to visit.  We decided not to visit the Arizona this time as we thought it would not be appropriate for the children and focussed on the museums.....we are so glad that we did.

The museums closed at 5 so we then headed off via Pearl City for dinner, to our hotel up the West Coast.  The problem was that the sun set very early and we ended up driving in the dark, not knowing where we were going! 

The drive was interesting and seemed very different to when I last visited all those years ago.  Between Jeff and I we found the right street and drove into complete darkness towards the mountains and away from the coast.......had we got the right place?

YES - there it was, a very nice resort in the middle of knowhere and after a ride to our room by golf buggy we were happy.  Just a shame that Dan had fallen asleep in the car and slept through the whole experience.......oh well, always tomorrow :-)

Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: