Determined to reach the beach - Pt Escondido

Trip Start Apr 12, 2011
Trip End Apr 01, 2012

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Mexico  , Pacific Coast,
Sunday, September 11, 2011

We book a minivan service from our hostel to Puerto Escondido, unfortunately after four hours we hit a slight problem. There has been a landslide and the road is blocked (the landslide was Tuesday and it is now Saturday and they are still just standing staring at it).  So we have three options; wait; cross the landslide by foot and continue by truck or return to Oaxaca.  Although we liked Oaxaca we are not looking forward to a four hour return trip as the road is pretty curvy and bumpy plus it would be depressing to end up the same place we started. So we vote to continue.  The only issue is that they are just waiting for the dynamite to explode the rock that is blocking the road.  So maybe we'll wait a while.  After half an hour of waiting about and the locals running back and forth from the rock we discover that the dynamite has failed for the second time and so it’s 'safe to cross’.  We’re pretty keen to make it quickly past the landslide which is made a bit difficult by the lack of a road which has also been washed away.  We scramble across the mud and rocks to the tarmac on the other side safely and keep walking quickly, keen to get as far away from the landslide as possible.  The clean-up operation looked far from professional and I’m not sure how that will be fixed in the next couple days.  A local on our bus turned back as he didn’t want to wait as tomorrow would be Sunday and they won’t work on a Sunday – he had a much better understanding on how the mexico system works – not that he was happy with it considering he had asked if the road was clear and the bus company had said yes.  We then had to sit on the back of a truck for an hour and a half to reach Puerto Escondido via a very windy and bumpy road – not the most comfortable but we made it.  Best to find a different way back to Oaxaca then.

We arrive to our hostel called Sunset Point a little late to find reception deserted but the distant noise of a party through the complex.  We eventually find the owners who immediately invite us to the party (a joint 30th and 80th) and provide us with food and drinks after our travels.  We’ve never had such a welcome to a hostel and it’s very welcome after the journey we’ve had.  The party is held by one of the guests (who apparently is Jay-Z’s chef, soon to open his new restaurant in New York) who is turning 30 and has hired out an apartment and one of the long termers has joined in as he turns 80 this week.  Slightly surreal to land into effectively an Australian beach party coupled with the new 80 year old quietly downing red wine in the corner until he decides to use his walking stick as a guitar and join the party – quite a character!  We are quickly introduced to everyone and with drinks in hands join in the party but we make an early exit and awake the next day to find the party still going on.

Sunset Point is down the bay from the main town but that’s more of a benefit as we’re 10 min walk from a quite, clean, white sand beach where we have breakfast and watch the surfers.  Our hostel also has a pool where we spend most the day recovering from our journey.  At night we walk along the beach for sunset and go for dinner at a BBQ place run by an American called Brad (restaurant is called Brad’s Split Coconut) where we are served he biggest portions of grilled pork and fresh tuna with Mexican sides – very tasty – oh did I mention we’re sitting on the beach.  Pretty perfect really. 

The next few days are spent the same kind of way, lazing by the beach or pool, at least for me.  Jonny did some surfing lessons while I sunbathed and tried to take a few photographs.  Definitely a good place to relax, with plenty of opportunities for drinks or food on the beach.  The town is set up for surfers and our hostel has many long-term stays that are here to surf for a couple months – these guys have been helpful, telling us where to go here and also for the next part of our trip to New Zealand.  

One of the hostel owner’s Rosita took us to the bus station on that last day and as she stopped to get petrol, a pick-up truck drove into the petrol station with four guys in the back of the truck armed with very large guns.  A bit alarming at first but we could see despite being plain clothed they did have police baseball caps on.  Rosita asked the petrol attendant what was going on and he assured us it was police.  Even so, Rosita made a sharp exit from the petrol station which we were happy with as we feel that you never really know what’s going on here and so things could kick off at any point. 
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: