Another day, another country!

Trip Start Oct 04, 2007
Trip End Nov 23, 2007

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Uruguay  ,
Friday, November 16, 2007

A very early start this morning: we were picked up from the hostel at 7.15am by the īEbenezerī minibus. No time for the delicious filling breakfast we previously encountered - plus it was far too early for either of us to feel like munching on cold toast! I, as Jon has told you, have a habit of falling asleep within ten to twenty minutes of getting in a car / bus / coach / ferry / plane - and today was no exception - except that Jon poked me in the ribs to let me know that I had started to snore. Ooops, how embarressing for him!!!

Today we would be starting our Uruguayan adventure in Colonia - but first we had to get there. We arrived in Trelew airport about 8.30am for our 9.45am flight to Buenos Aires. We didnīt have much chance to wait around, as our flight number was called soon after we sat down and visited the restrooms! Thankfully our plane was on time - a first for Aerolineas Argentinas for us! Perhaps this is because it is first thing in the morning and therefore had no backlash of delays. We were seated together (our last two flights we had been divided by the ailse!) at the back of the plane, right next to the planeīs engine - as a result we had no view out of the window. Still, the plane was on time and we arrived safely in Buenos Aires about 1.5 hours later.

Next thing was to get to the Port in B.A. in order to catch the ferry to Colonia in Uruguay. We took a remise (chauffer car / taxi) to the Buquebus terminal at the port and checked in. Our ferry left on time at 2pm. We travelled first class, so we had more leg room and were in a different area to economy class. It was cheap to take the ferry and it wasnīt much more to go first class. I was excited, but proceeded, as expected, to fall asleep after eating our free sandwiches (yes, cheese and ham again!). The ferry took about 50mins.

Once in Colonia, we collected our baggage and headed in to the sunshine which greeted us. We had reserved a car online and Jon offered to go to the AVIS office and collect it and come back and pick me and the suitcases up to save dragging them around. "Itīs around here somewhere, near the port!" he said! About a hour later, and several prayers from me, Jon pulls up in our biggest hire car yet. We only reserved a toyota yaris or similar, but got a 4 door fiat with a big boot. All our luggage fits in the boot, which is handy if we want to stop off without worrying about anythign being on show.

Colonia is the only place we didnīt book a hotel, so we had the joy of trekking around hundreds of hotels to see if they had room at the inn for us and our donkey.... Oh wait, sorry - thats the Nativity scene! Jon had looked up the name of a hotel back in the UK and we found it - and they had a pleasant small room for us. We headed out in to Colonia to explore the area. Itīs a pretty town on the river. It was a Portuguese colony and still retains a colonial feel with old buildings, pretty plazas, cobbled pedestrian streets and city gates. We order our evening meal in an outdoor restaurant, watching the sunset. A lovely way to end the day.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: