Bujuku - Mubuku - Day1 - The custard debacle

Trip Start Dec 16, 2005
Trip End Jun 12, 2006

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Uganda  ,
Monday, January 30, 2006

10km and 3300ft

Woke up with a slight swelling of the gums due to goat meat stuck in between my teeth, boy that stuff is stringy. Breakfast definitely not up to the quality of dinner, in the aim to go big the pancakes were about an inch thick and hence soggy in the middle and contained no fruit as the menu promised!

I had to listen to the ranger give a one hour talk before leaving, absolutely bored out of my brains as he was just repeating stuff I already knew and I just wanted to get out of there so I could beat the midday heat. Eventually I got a bit short with him and he soon got the message and sped through the rest of his spiel.

Met my guide Vicent and by 9am we were on the road. Fantastic days hiking up along the Bujuku river followed by the Mahoma river (the same river we went to see the waterfall on at the Crater Lakes). Lots of pretty flowers and butterflies in thick green vegetation. While every now and again we'd get a peek through at the cliffs at the steep mountains and the gray clouds covering the sky.

Passed a few passion fruits trees on the way and enjoyed some of the windfalls. Passed some areas where all the vegetation was flattened either side of the path - elephants apparently, although luckily they weren't roaming the area today but we still had to navigate the huge pieces of dung they had left!

It was a 3300ft climb to Nyabitaba hut. The vegetation turned more towards hard wood forest that looked from all the moss that it had it's fair share of rain. Met Luke an Aussie medical student who I would be spending the next few days with - nice guy.

As the afternoon progressed the skies cleared to show of the steep sided Rutara in the Partial Peak range.

Both Luke and I made enough food that evening to feed ourselves and the porters (I had 4). They seemed pretty happy. We used charcoal stoves and after the porters and guides had gone to bed Luke whipped out what turned out to be a packet of custard powder - what a bonus. It all turned into a bit of a debacle as the coals were now getting pretty cold and it took about 45 minutes with both of us on the ground blowing into the coals to get the custard to boil and thicken. It has to be said though that the results were fantastic and worth every minute!
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: