Land of lakes and rivers

Trip Start Feb 07, 2014
Trip End Jun 19, 2014

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of New Zealand  , South Island,
Thursday, June 5, 2014

We were not sure, if we will be travelling to New Zealand as couple of days before our flight the volcano Sangeang Api started being active and lot of flights had been cancelled, so we could only hope. We had a great time in Bali and the journey to New Zealand meant that the time of our holidays is coming to an end. Anyway, we went to the airport very early and after checking in and paying ridiculously high airport tax (200K IDR) we went to the gate and we waited again. Flight to Melbourne went very quickly as I was doing one of my favourite activities – sleeping. Due to a long stopover in Melbourne that was more than 8 hours we were not able to get checked in to New Zealand, we had to get re-checked in the Australia.

We had 13 hours between flights and the check in supposed to be open only 3 hours before the departure, so I went to the information desk of virgin airlines and asked if we could do it earlier but we could not. Anyway these people were not too nice, and after spending 3 hours at the airport we went for a walk around and I have saw different virgin airlines desk for domestic flights and the guy behind the counter was very nice to me and advised me to ask their international desk and as he thought that I am travelling alone he offered me help with my luggage.

We found another desk of virgin airlines and once again the person was very nice and apologetic for our long waiting and that we could not stay in transit area, but at this time we could check in much earlier - at 12 am that was almost 6 hours before our flight. The time at the airport went very fast, we were sleeping for few hours, eating, being active on the internet and we tried Australian beer.

The last part our journey started when we boarded the plane. Jesus, so many crying kids hence no way that we would be sleeping however surprise started when the flight attendant came to us bringing tablets (the in-flight entertainment), food and free drinks (not everybody got this, only who paid extra - we did not). Despite all the waiting this was totally awesome. :)

We arrived at 1 am so we decided to sleep at the airport as we could pick up our car only at 8 am. Even if there were some other agencies still open they were double the price we got for our car so still a pretty good deal. At the airport was very cold, noisy, not comfortable at all and we could not sleep so we were killing time by playing cards.

At 6 am we were so tired so we finally fell asleep. We woke up again at 7.30 and walked to pick up our car. We loaded our 4 backpacks into the car and we were off to Franz Josef for 2 days to see the glaciers. Shortly we were out of Christchurch and even the heavy rain the scenery was spectacular and I had feeling that I am in heaven. Well rainy heaven. I could not stop smiling and trying to imagine how it can look when sunny. Lot of turns, beautiful mountains, some with a bit of snow, some fully covered by it, cows on meadows, massive rivers and birds singing everywhere.

We did a lot of stops during our journey for taking photos because this is truly land of lakes, rivers and mountains. Heavy rain didn't stop throughout the entire journey and after 8 hours we finally arrived to our final destination and we had another pleasant surprise; we were upgraded to a better room for free.

We went to sleep very early and the next blog will be about the Franz Josef and Fox glaciers.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: