Mirror mirror on the wall

Trip Start Sep 04, 2007
Trip End Jun 01, 2009

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Australia  , Queensland,
Saturday, October 11, 2008

After having washed most of the sand out of our ears (and nose, eyes and mouth) our schedule said "canoeing on Noosa river". Impeccable timing (by accident) brought us to Noosa right on time for Coolum Kite Festival, one of the biggest kite festivals in Australia (might be the biggest?). We spent a day marvelling the sky filled with huge mascot kites - some giant ones from Beijin Olympics - and watching stunt kite shows (stunt kite ballet, synchronised kiting etc). We had packed our own kite with us and gave it a little outing on the beach!

To continue with wildlife encounters, we met a long nasty snake on the beach... brrrr. Apparently this kind of sea snake is very poisonous but that didn't seem to deter the crowd gathering around it. And two minutes after the snake had swam away there were already kids and dog walkers walking in the shallow surf. Nasty...

Noosa canoe trip was part of our East Coast package and many people had told us it's an extra that the tour company crams into each of their package to make them look fuller. We had heard plenty of complaints about long days canoeing and how exhausting the trip is - is this a good idea after the pretty hectic Fraser trip? Some people that were supposed to be in our group decided to take it easy instead and skip the canoe. We're not quitters and having learned from the experience in Abel Tasman NP in New Zealand (where we took only noodles and instant pasta and starved!) we thought some yummy food will keep us going for a few more days. Canoe filled with chocolate, crisps, wine, dips, fruit, sandwiches and enough supplies for pasta carbonara and curry to feed an army, we headed for the starting point. Our group of adventurers consisted of an English girl we had already met on Whitsundays cruise and three German backpackers. The plan was to canoe about 10km to the campsite, set camp, eat, drink, have a party with the group that had left the day before us, then get an early start in the morning, canoe another 10 km, walk 5 km to see a sand patch (a huge dune in the middle of a bush), walk 5 km back, canoe 10 km back to the campsite, eat, drink and have a party with the group that left the day after us, get an early start and canoe 10 km back to the starting point. Piece of cake, huh?
Noosa river is famous for reflections - the water is black from deposits of tree bark (tea trees maybe?) and the river flows very slowly, creating beautiful reflections. The thing is there are sharks in the river, think sitting in a canoe in the middle of a black river with a shark turning around under you... But what you can't see doesn't bother you so maybe it's for the best the water is black. The reflections didn't disappoint, it really is like looking into a mirror when you look into that water and the dry white tree trunks that have fallen into the river are amazing - absolutely beautiful and so peaceful. And we saw some more wildlife in the form of lizards sunning themselves on tree trunks, kingfishers, a huge goanna that was very interested in our sandwiches and the biggest toad ever (like something straight out of Harry Potter!). In the evening we made a campfire, enjoyed our spaghetti carbonara made from scratch (can you believe we managed to bring eggs without breaking them in the canoe?) and stayed up late with some Irish guys that warned us about the walk we were about to do the next day - one of them had stepped on a snake in the bush.
The German half of our group had gone to bed earlier and were so keen to leave at sunrise we decided to split the group in two, German half and the hung over half. 10km paddling was quite a gruelling experience in a slight hangover... In the end we did manage to drag ourselves even all the way to the sand patch and had some well deserved SANDwiches up there. Julien made Jo walk first all the way up (and also down) just in case there were some smakes lurking in the bush... The dune was a beautiful sight, surreal to see a piece of Sahara in the middle of Australian bush.
The second night back at the camp followed the same pattern as the first one, this time drinks with some people we already knew from Fraser Island - East Coast package tours are so popular that you will for sure meet the same people again and again since everyone does pretty much the same things, in more or less the same schedule. Not necessarily the best way to see Australia but definitely the cheapest and very social!
Back in Noosa we decided to stay for one more day to visit Australia Zoo that we had missed on our way up. In the zoo we made friends with lots of kangaroos, cute echidnas (like a hedgehog but with longer spikes), koalas, crocs and all the other weird and wonderful creatures. Steve "Crocodile Hunter" Irwin (the guy that got killed by a sting ray a couple of years ago) is a huge celebrity here and Australia Zoo is his big project. It's creepy how he is almost worshipped in there, with a shrine set up for people to leave their greetings, his face printed on everything and life size cardboard Steves around every corner... A wee bit scary. All in all, Australia Zoo is worth a visit but the croc show was a disappointment - we expected to see some croc wrestling and instead got some old and tired croc that could hardly even lift it's head to catch a piece of meat the ranger was waving in front of it. 

Après notre expérience mémorable sur l'ile Fraser, notre prochaine étape est un séjour de quelques jours en canoe sur la riviere de Noosa. Nous sommes arrivés au parfait moment sans le savoir puisque Coolum, un petit village voisin, organise une fois par an le festival de cerf-volant. Nous sommes allés a Coolum en bus pour la journée et pour y contempler tous ces énormes cerf-volants de toutes les couleurs et de toutes les tailles. Nous avions bien évidement pris le notre alors on l'a sorti un peu pour profiter du bon vent qu'il y avait.

Sur cette plage, nous avons aperçu un énorme serpent, le premier depuis que nous sommes en Australie. Apparement ce type de serpent vivant dans l'eau est mortel, mais il y avait foule autour pour contempler le monstre. Quelqu'un sur la plage nous a dit qu'une piqure par un serpent comme celui ci et il fallait se rendre à l'hopital le plus proche dans les 60 minutes maximum pour éviter tout problème.

Le séjour en canoe sur la rivière de Noosa faisait partie de notre deal sur la cote Est avec les iles Whitsunday et l'ile Fraser, mais nous avons cru comprendre que ce n'était pas le séjour le plus alléchant. Plusieurs personnes que nous avons rencontrés nous ont dit que le canoe et la marche étaient vraiment long, épuisant et que le paysage n'en valait pas vraiment la peine. Après temps d'émotions sur l'ile Fraser on se demandait si on ne prefererait pas faire quelque chose un peu plus reposant. Mais on ne renonce devant rien et on s'est dit que même si c'était épuisant il fallait voir ce que ça donnait afin de pouvoir se faire notre propre idée. De plus, en Nouvelle Zélande nous étions partis faire du canoe pendant 5 jours en mer avec pas assez de bouffe (on ne pensait pas avoir autant d'espace de rangement) et on était confiant que du canoe sur une rivière serait une partie de rigolade. Nous sommes allés faire les courses le jour avant le départ et cette fois-ci, on a fait en sorte d'avoir plein à manger, chocolat, chips, vin, fruits, sandwiches, etc, au final on avait assez pour nourrir tout une armée. Le matin même nous faisions connaissance avec les autres personnes qui allaient nous accompagner durant le voyage, une anglaise que nous avions déjà rencontré sur les iles Whitsunday et trois allemands. Au programme, il nous fallait voyager sur la rivière pendant une dizaine de kilomètres le premier jour, installés les tentes au campement, faire la fête le soir même avec le groupe qui était parti la veille, se lever tôt le lendemain matin pour à nouveau 10 kilomètres de canoe, 10 kilomètres de marche allé-retour pour aller voir une énorme dune de sable, pagayer à nouveau 10 kilomètres pour revenir au campement et pour faire la fête avec ceux qui venaient d'arriver. Enfin le dernier jour il fallait se lever tôt pour pagayer à nouveau 10 kilomètres et revenir au point de départ. Avec nos corps d'athlètes, on allait faire ça les doigts dans le nez. 

L'eau de la rivière est très sombre et est réputée pour sa reflection, on pouvait s'y voir comme dans un miroir. Le courant nous portait doucement le long de la rivière, pour l'instant tout commencait bien, c'était même presque paradisiaque. Il faisait chaud, on aurait bien piquer une tête mais hélas cette rivière est infestée de requin, il y a déjà eu des accidents dans la région. Au final c'est peut être pas plus mal que l'eau soit si sombre, au moins on ne voit pas ce qui se passe sous la surface. Nous avons vu encore plus d'animaux bizarre, principalement des lézards et des oiseaux mais aussi un crapaud énorme. En soirée nous avons fait un grand feu de camp, nous avons mangé nos spaghettis carbonara (10 kilomètres en canoe sans même casser les oeufs) et nous avons sympathiser avec le groupe d'irlandais qui revenait de cette longue marche et qui nous racontait que l'un d'entre eux avait mis le pied sur un serpent.

Les trois allemands de notre groupe étaient allés se coucher tôt la veille et était prêt à partir tôt le matin, alors nous avons décidé de se séparer pour la journée. Vu que nous avions un peu picollé la veille, faire 10 kilomètres en canoe de bon matin n'est pas l'idéal. Mais nous avons fait l'effort et ca en valait le coup d'oeil. Nous avons également fait la marche pour aller voir cette fameuse dune de sable. Julien a laissé Johanna ouvrir la marche de peur de marcher sur un serpent. Le paysage une fois arrivé sur la dune de sable était vraiment sympa.

La deuxième soirée au campement a étrangement ressemblée à la première, un feu de camp, quelques verres de vins, un autre groupe de personnes mais que nous avions déjà croisé sur l'ile Fraser. Ces tours organisés le long de la côte sont tellement populaires qu'il n'est pas anormal de retomber toujours sur les mêmes personnes, vu qu'en général tout le monde visite les même coins. Ca permet de faire des connaissances donc c'est pas si mal.
De retour à Nossa, nous avons décidé de rester une nuit de plus dans l'auberge de jeunesse ou nous étions afin de pouvoir aller visiter Australia Zoo que nous n'avions pas eu le temps de visiter lorsque nous montions en direction de Cairns. Au zoo, nous avons sympathiser avec des kangourous, des echidnas (des sortes d'hérissons locaux un peu plus gros que la moyenne), des koalas, des crocodiles et tous les animaux qui vivent en Australie. Steve "Chasseur de Croco" Irwin est une célébrité ici et vu qu'Australia Zoo a été crée par ses parents, on voit sa photo et des vidéos de lui de partout. On pense que depuis qu'il est mort il y a quelques années (il s'est fait piquer mortellement par une raie) il est encore plus présent que quand il était vivant. Le zoo est une sortie sympa à faire pour une journée bien que le show de crocodiles était un peu décevant. On s'attendait à voir des crocodiles agressifs se battant pour un bout de viande, au final on a eu droit a des vieux crocodiles qui se la coulait douce.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: