Ears, eyes, nose and mouth full of sand

Trip Start Sep 04, 2007
Trip End Jun 01, 2009

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Australia  , Queensland,
Wednesday, October 8, 2008

After a good nights sleep we continue our trip down towards Rainbow Beach and Fraser Island, world's largest sand island at 20km wide and 120km long. This is going to be like a little Big Brother / Survivor experience with eight backpackers that have never met before embarking on a 4WD adventure for three days, far away from civilisation and with plenty of alcohol thrown in the mix... Before leaving there were many preparations to take care of - watching the information DVD that tells you how to drive in the sand, avoid breaking the car, "defend yourself violently" against attacking dingoes... According to the video dingoes eat small children! Our BB experience started already the day before when we had to decide on shopping, everybody together and on a tight budget. In the end our group (us, an English girl, three Irish girls, Paddy from Ireland who we'd already met in Whitsundays and a French guy) seemed to get along pretty well - we're off to a good start!

The next morning our troop was up bright and early, ready for the adventure to begin. We still had some more briefing, this time the owner of the hostel and the car explaining us about driving on sand, not wrecking the car in salt water and most importantly "if you smell burning, stop the car and wait five minutes". Ok, let's NOT burn the car! Finally we were ready, car packed with tents, food and goon (cask wine) with Jules on the wheel we headed for the ferry. Here we come! We got a respectable 25 metres off the ferry before we got stuck. Bogged in the sand, all seven passengers screamed "instructions" (reverse, drive forward, go back and forth, go left, go right, go up, go down!). And then the burning smell... Oh my, car is on fire? We stopped and waited and after a while managed to get going again - driving on sand is definitely not as easy as it sounds! Later we realised that the embarrassing bogging straight off the ferry happens to practically everybody and it gets better once you learn to drive right on the edge of the water - not in the water or the wave but also not in the soft sand up the beach.
Fraser Island has no tarmac roads and the beaches are used as highways. It's a surreal sight to see 4WDs rallying up and down the beach and sometimes there is so much traffic it really looks like a highway. And of course the beach is also used as a runway for planes so look out! Some of the beach gets submerged during high tide and for that reason it's only safe to drive on the beach at certain times - during our visit safe driving time was from 6am to 1pm. Early morning starts for us then! The hostel had given us an itinerary to follow that would make sure we're not on the beach at the wrong time and have enough time to see all the main sights - we started off with visiting lake MacKenzie inland. The lake has gorgeous turquoise blue water - unfortunately the sun didn't want to show its face but Jo had a nice swim regardless and even tried some beach cricket. The first night was spent on a campsite inland and we celebrated Paddy's birthday with lots of drink and laughs.
The next morning and early wake up at 5am - today we would drive all the way up to the northern tip of the island and back down to the middle again to spend the night on an aboriginal camp. After an hour of rallying it on the inland "roads" we reached the beach again and this time the rally was on for real! The sand was much harder than the day before and we reached ear-drum piercing top speed of 50km/h, with planes landing around us and, hit the brakes, WHALES jumping out of the ocean! We parked the car and filed out to marvel the huge creatures splashing in the distance. They wouldn't stop jumping and after 20 minutes we had to get going - don't want to miss the safe driving time and end up in the sea... On our way north we visited shipwreck  Maheno, a Scottish vessel that sunk off the island in 1935. The ship's skeleton is now right on the water's edge and half covered in sand - beautiful and kind of peaceful sight. We reached Indian Head in the northern part of the Island at around 11am and decided to walk to Champagne Pools, a rock pool separated from the sea by rock, waves splashing over the rock to the pool. Nice quick dip in the pool and time to walk back to the car. The Irish girls were already waiting for us, honking the horn and when we got to the car we understood why they were getting nervous - we were the only tourists left in Indian Head, all others had already started their way down. It would take us an hour to drive to the campsite and it was already 12.15pm... It would get tight since we were supposed to be off the beach by 1pm! The beach up north gets submerged during high tide and Lorraine (Ireland's gift to World rally) floored it on the way back. We made it off the beach on time and spent a nice evening by a campfire, learning to play didgeridoo.
Up again early in the morning - today's plan to visit a creek and another lake in the morning and catch a ferry back to mainland at 12. Julien was driving and noticed something fishy going on with the car. We checked the wheels, opened the bonnet and looked in (opening it and looking at the engine sometimes helps!) and decided to continue. Maybe the sand was softer today compared to the previous days? After half an hour the traction disappeared almost entirely and we smelled that burning smell again - now this is not good! We made the joint decision to stop and open the bonnet. None of our mobiles worked and we started waving at passing people to ask to us their phones. Finally somebody had coverage and we managed to speak to the hostel - they said they would send a mechanic from a village 10 km away and they should reach us in max 2 hours. Ok, no lake then and how much are they going to charge us for repairs on the car and for being late? It was 8am and we were 60km from the ferry, no way we'd be back in the hostel by 12.30pm...
Two hours passed, three hours passed, and cabin fever started to drive us all nuts - where is the mechanic??? The sea started to rise and we realised that if our saviours wouldn't be here soon we'd be in the sea in no time. Finally, four and a half hours after speaking to the hostel, the mechanics arrived. But they had exactly the same car as ours, i.e. pretty rundown, old SUV and with only an hour of driving time left they told us we'd get the 4WD experience of our lives. They hooked our car on theirs and off we went - 80km/hour in the sea. The sea was rising so fast it was reaching the soft sand higher on the beach and we could not drive in that without bogging both cars. And how do you get two cars moving again? You don't. So our driver opted to cause saltwater damage to the engines and drive in the waves. Despite the efforts, we did get stuck. Many times... We even had to get help once from a fisherman with a better car - he hooked the first car on his towbar and pulled both our cars off the sand. Our driver started off joking but quickly got quiet as the sea rose and we were getting stuck constantly, the towbar broke off, the second towbar broke as well, the first car reversed into the second one breaking the front bumper. And then the engine of the first car overheated...  Auch, we're not gonna pay for all this damage! After a desperate four hours we emerged to the ferry pick up point. The mechanics had already given up hope many times but in the end we made it, a bit shocked, very bruised and tired but so happy to be back on mainland. The mechanics said they'd been doing the job for 1.5 years on Fraser and never had to drive in this kind of conditions and nevercame this close to loosing a car! In the end we didn't have to pay for any of the damage and it turned out the car had some clutch problem before we took it to the island (they don't normally warn people about burning smell because there isn't any!). This sure was an experience to remember forever...

Après une nuit de repos bien méritée, nous quittons Airlie Beach en fin de journée par bus afin de nous rendre à Rainbow Beach. Le trajet se fera de nuit et il faudra compter environ 12 heures. Et oui l'Australie est bien différent de la Nouvelle Zélande en ce qui concerne les distances à parcourir pour se rendre d'un point à un autre. Après une nuit casi blanche sur un siège plutôt inconfortable, nous voici arrivés à Rainbow Beach. C'est d'ici que nous partirons faire une excursion en 4x4 pendant 3 jours et 2 nuits sur l'ile Fraser (la plus grande ile de sable au monde - 20 kms de large pr 120 kms de long). Une sorte d'experience à la Big Brother - 8 inconnus entassés dans un 4x4 sur une ile coupée du monde avec de l'alcool à revendre, comment est ce que tout cela va se terminer?

Avant le grand départ nous avons eu un briefing sur que faire et surtout que ne pas faire sur l'ile. Par exemple laisser la priorité aux avions qui doivent aterrir sur la plage (est ce qu'on va devoir passer notre temps le nez en l'air?) ou encore éviter de fuir en courant si vous tomber nez à nez avec des dingos (des sortes de chiens sauvages qui se balladent en meute et hurlent comme des loups) et si vous vous faites attaquer, riposter violement! Bref, après toutes ces recommandations nous étions fin prêt à tenter l'experience. Mais avant toute chose il nous fallait aller faire les courses tous ensemble avec un budget limité et sincerement ce n'est pas facile de remplir un chariot commun avec des inconnus.

Le lendemain matin nous prenions le ferry pour une traversée d'environ 20 minutes afin d'atteindre les plages de l'ile Fraser. A peine sortie du ferry, on a réussi a conduire environ 25 mètres et on s'est retrouvé directement enlisés dans le sable, marche avant, marche arrière, première vitesse, seconde vitesse, rien à faire il a fallu sortir les pelles. Tous ça devant tous les gens qui allait remonter sur le ferry pour retourner sur le continent...Sur le coup c'était un peu la honte, on avait l'impression que tout le monde autour nous riait au nez... Après avoir parlé avec d'autres touristes sur l'ile, on a compris qu'apparement tout le monde se faisait avoir sur les quelques premiers mètres. Conduire des 4x4 dans le sable est vraiment une experience sympa...Mais attention ce n'est pas un séjour de détente...La conduite est vraiment primmordiale, il faut trouver un juste milieu - pas trop près de la mer pour eviter de grosses eclaboussures et endommager le moteur avec le sel, pas trop loin non plus pour éviter de s'embourber dans le sable, conduire en sous régime à certains endroits, conduire en sur régime à d'autres, passé du mode 4x4 au mode traction avant, bref c'est vraiment technique...On se croyait un peu comme au Dakar!

Nous avons atteint le fameux lac MacKenzie, non sans mal, un grand lac en plein milieu de cet ile de sable, réputé pour ces eaux bleues turquoises. Hélas le soleil n'était pas vraiment au rendez vous. Certains d'entre nous ont fait trempette et nous sommes ensuite repartis afin d'être sur d'arriver a notre campement avant la tombée de la nuit. Une fois les tentes montées au milieu de la foret tropicale et après un bon repas bien arrosé, nous avons passé une nuit assez mouvementée, on a entendu des drôles de bruit toute la nuit venant d'animaux qui se balladaient dans les alentours... les dingos en plein milieu de la nuit, les oiseaux dès le levé du jour, et on ne sait pas quels autres invertébrés qui passaient par là. Malgré la crainte de tous ces animaux autours on a quand même réussi à dormir un minimum.
Le lendemain matin, nous nous sommes levés aux alentours de 5 heures, aujourd'hui au programme nous conduirons au Nord pour atteindre la pointe de l'île, puis nous redescendrons plusieurs dizaines de kilomètres pour passer la nuit dans un camp aborigène. Après environ une heure à conduire à la mode rallye sur les chemins a l'intérieur de l'île, nous atteignons enfin la plage. Avec la marée haute durant la nuit, le sable est encore humide ce qui nous permet de passer la 4ème vitesse et de conduire à bien 50-60 Km/h. On passait notre temps à regarder la plage, la mer et le ciel pour être sur de ne pas gêner les avions qui atterrissent. C'est Julien qui conduisait quand tout à coup il a aperçu des baleines au loin. On s'est arrêté pendant plusieurs minutes et on en a vu une bonne dizaine. Nous ne sommes pas restés trop longtemps pour éviter d'avoir des problèmes une fois la marée haute. Un peu plus haut nous nous sommes arrêtés pour voir l'épave du Maheno, un bateau Ecossais qui s'est échoué sur la plage en 1935. L'épave toute rouillée est aujourd'hui recouverte de sable et les vagues viennent s'échouer sue cet énorme squelette. Nous avons atteint Indian Head aux alentours de 11 heures, la pointe Nord de l'île et nous sommes partis pour une longue marche afin d'atteindre Champagne Pools, une piscine naturelle séparée de la mer par des rochers. Johanna a piqué une tête rapide dans cette eau plutôt froide car il fallait que nous retournions à la voiture. Nous devions quitté la pointe de l'ile à 12 heures maximum pour éviter la marée haute. Les trois irlandaises nous attendais dans la voiture depuis plusieurs dizaines de minutes. Elles étaient un peu stressées car nous étions les derniers touristes à partir. Il fallait absolument quitté la plage au plus vite et nous avions plusieurs dizaines de kilomètres devant nous avant d'atteindre les chemins plus à l'intérieur des terres. Lorsque la marée est haute certaines parties de la plage ne sont plus accessibles. Lorraine, une des irlandaises a conduit pied au plancher et nous sommes arrivés au camping à temps. Nous avons montés les tentes dans ce camp aborigènes et on a passé la soirée a jouer avec eux au didgeridoo.
Une nouvelle matinée sur l'île et à nouveau un réveil bien matinal. Aujourd'hui au programme, nous irons voir une baie, un autre lac avant de reprendre le ferry à midi. C'est Julien qui conduisait et bien vite il s'est rendu compte que la voiture avait un problème. On a vérifié la pression des pneus, ouvert le capot, rien remarquer d'anormal alors on a continué encore un peu. On se disait que c'était peut être le sable qui était plus mou que les jours précédents. Après environ 30 minutes, plus moyen d'avancer d'un centimètre et le moteur sentait le chaud. Nous avions tous des portables mais pas de connections. Nous avons arrêtés une bonne dizaine de voiture avant de tomber sur quelqu'un qui a pu appeler notre auberge de jeunesse pour nous. Il nous ont dit de ne pas s'inquiéter, de rester dans la voiture et que le seul garagiste de l'île viendrait nous dépanner d'ici une heure. OK, du coup pas de lac, la dernière journée gâchée et on se demandait combien est ce que les réparations allaient nous coûter. Il était maintenant 8 heures du matin et nous étions encore à environ 80 kilomètres, aucune chance d'atteindre le ferry à temps.
Deux heures, puis trois heures ont passés et on commençait vraiment à perdre patience à 8 dans notre 4x4. On voyait la marée qui commençait sérieusement à monter et toujours pas de garagiste en vue. Finalement, après plus de quatre heures d'attente deux mécaniciens sont arrivés mais avec la même voiture que nous, même moteur, même puissance et avec environ une heure de marge avant que la mer recouvre toute la plage, on s'attendait avoir l'expérience hors piste de notre vie ! Ils ont accroché leur voiture à la notre, nous sommes tous montés à l'arrière de la première voiture et nous sommes partis. Plus d'une fois nous avons atteint les 80Km/h. Le sable était tellement mou que pour éviter de s'enliser, le garagiste roulait carrément dans la mer, même si ce n'était pas conseillé à cause du sel qui rouille le moteur. Une fois enlisé, plus moyen de repartir, alors on n'avait pas le choix, soit on roulait dans la mer, soit on perdait les deux voitures. Mais même en roulant dans la mer, on est quand même resté bloquer plus d'une fois. A un moment, plus moyen de bouger les deux voitures, c'est un pêcheur qui a accroché sont 4x4 aux deux notre pour nous tirer d'affaire. Au début, les deux garagistes étaient plutôt relax et décontractés mais après environ 30 minutes, et après avoir casser les pare-chocs et les phares, casser la barre ou la corde était attachée, et en voyant la marée qui montait de plus en plus ils faisaient moins les malins. On les a entendu dire à un moment que c'était sans espoir et qu'on allait perdre les deux voitures. Après plus de 4 heures de galère nous apercevions enfin le ferry et nous n'étions pas mécontent de quitter l'île, avec tous nos bleus et nos mal de dos. Ces mécaniciens nous ont dit qu'en 1,5 an qu'ils faisaient se boulot sur l'ile, ils n'avaient jamais été aussi prêt de perdre une voiture dans la mer.
De retour au garage, nous avons parlé avec le propriétaire de la voiture et malgré l'état dans lequel nous avons ramené le 4x4, nous avons récupéré notre caution et n'avons rien du payer. Ils se sont rendu compte que l'embrayage était déffectueux avant notre départ sur l'ile. Du coup tout est bien qui fini bien, on se rapellera longtemps de cette fameuse expérience...
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: