Arrival in Burundi

Trip Start Sep 08, 2013
Trip End Oct 04, 2013

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Burundi  ,
Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Yesterday, the 11:00 Kenya Airways flight to Nairobi left on time, and it was only about half full, so I had an empty seat next to me, a rare event for several years now. By coincidence seated right in front of me were two ladies I know from a sister church association, one is an old friend, and I hadn't seen either for years. It is a small world. We chatted about family news and where we were heading. The ladies were headed for the Mara for a photo safari and were going to stay at Kichwa Tembo, an excellent tented lodge where I have stayed several times when guiding tour groups. After the safari they would continue to South Africa for our annual fall festival. It was very nice to see both ladies well and excited about their safari and the convention.

We didn’t talk too long however because I was in sore need of sleep. I had only slept two hours, or so, on the flight to Paris. On the Nairobi flight I managed to sleep about four more, by fits and starts. I also watched some video lectures I had loaded on my iPad on the history of Asia Minor (what is today Turkey) – a fascinating area with many Biblical connections.

We arrived in Nairobi at 20:30 and had our first glimpse of the changes brought about by the fire of last month. The deflagration completely consumed the arrivals area and apparently more than that. Jomo Kenyatta International Airport (NBO) is shaped like a large letter C wrapped around a large circle in the middle, separated by access roads. The C contains departure areas: drop-off zones, check in counters, and emigration processing on the ground floor, and then gates and duty free areas on the second floor – accessed by an escalator. From the upper area of the C there are two covered ramps that lead down to the arrivals area where one first passes immigration then down a stairway to baggage claim and ground transportation. It was a very modern, efficient airport when it was built – a very long time ago. Now it is always very over-crowded, inefficient and frustrating, and in urgent need of updating.  To add to all that, the circle in the center of the C has been completely gutted by fire.

All that to say: as we arrived we saw large tents on the tarmac around the arrivals area. This is where immigration and other official functions are now being handled. I was ushered into the transit zone where I was able to get my boarding pass and then begin the three and half–hour wait for my next flight. The departure area was overflowing with people, almost every seat was taken – everywhere. And the semi-circle of the C was broken, boarded and blocked about a third of the way around. The fire damage must have gone beyond just the arrivals area.

There was a snack bar open so I had dinner, a sandwich, and watched the people who are always interesting in Nairobi because it’s such a crossroads. There are Chinese funneling through Nairobi back home. Kenya Airways now has a daily non-stop flight to Guangzhou. There are many from the Arab world in all the variations of dress: women in burqas, chadors, veils or scarves. Muslim men, white, swarthy and black, were variously arrayed in robes, skullcaps and other headdresses, beards, beads, sandals, or full western dress. European and American tourists walked through in everything from high-street chic to pseudo-safari (I’ve been guilty of that – it’s really fun) to travel trendy, to trashy, to really, really trashy. There are priests and nuns and missionaries of various stripes going and coming. And one can usually identify the UN and other aid-worker types by a vaguely superior air, a brisk "I know where I’m going and you don’t" gate, and special documents sticking out of their pockets or stickers on their carry-ons. But since the business and first class lounges had burned, everyone had become hoi polloi. So the time actually passed pretty quickly watching this fascinating cross section of the modern human race.

Finally a little before midnight, I walked across the tarmac in the marvelous night air of the high Kenyan plain to a little Embraer jet, where once again, I had a free seat beside me. We pushed back at midnight for the 90 minutes flight to Kigali and a time zone change. Most passengers deplaned in Kigali only to be replaced by many, only a few of whom were going to Bujumbura. After a 45 minutes wait we took off again for the 30-minute hop to Bujumbura where we arrived at 1:30 local time, 2:30 Nairobi time. I filled out the paperwork and got my visa with no problem, then picked up my suitcase, which somewhat amazingly had made it through all the plane changes from Dallas.  Mo´se was waiting for me, a brave fellow to come out at that hour, and drove me to the King’s Conference Center, a Christian-sponsored establishment which offers clean, air-conditioned rooms for $60 a night, quite a good deal.

I started the air conditioner and drank some bottled water to re-hydrate after the marathon air travel and fell easily to sleep right about 3:00 am.
Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


Clyde Kilough on

Good morning/afternoon/evening . . . whatever it is when you get this! Glad things are off to a good start. Always interesting to keep up with your travels. Travel safely, sleep well!

Beverly Lofty on

thanks again for your blog :-) love to imagine being there and seeing the sights :-) may God bless and stay beside you while you travel :-)

Bernard on

Glad to hear your trip is going smoothly. Thinking of you and how tired you must be with the hassle of the move. Please convey our warmest regards to all the members you'll see and wish them a Great Feast for us. Our prayers accompany you and God's people. See you soon in St Jean-La-Vêtre.

mary hendren on

Hi Joel,
We're glad you arrived safely and had a pleasant flight to Nairobi. The fire must have done a lot of damage to the airport. We hope the next days go smoothly and that you have encouraging times with the brethren there.


judy on

thank you for the update. You are in our prayers, may God keep you safe!

Larry Salyer on

Hi Joel,

Just had a chance to catch up on your first two entries. Really appreciate what you write and look forward to keeping up with you as I can. Your description of Nairobi was fun to read. Glad your flights worked out. We will be praying for a successful and peaceful trip--in a grumpy world! Get some sleep.


Tess Washington on

By now, the names of these countries have a ring of familiarity to it! It's good you arrived safely and getting some needed rest and sleep. We'll be looking forward to your next blog.

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: