Meetings in Kinshasa

Trip Start Mar 26, 2012
Trip End Apr 29, 2012

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Congo - The Dem. Repub.  ,
Tuesday, April 3, 2012

After yesterday's misadventures, today was pleasantly ordinary, at least by local standards.

Justin and Jacob came to pick me up at 09:30 for the short drive to the hall we often rent for church functions. I won’t have a weekend here in Kinshasa, and so won’t have a formal service with the members here, and I wanted to get together with those who could get free on a weekday morning. We started a little after 10:00 by singing a couple of hymns and a prayer in Lingala, and then I gave greetings from other areas and a news update of what’s happening in our association both in the HQ office and in the French-language operations. Then I gave a brief Bible Study about the upcoming spring festivals we’ll soon be keeping.

We ended around 11:30 and took time for a group photo and to chat a while. Then Victor joined us, in the vehicle as we drove the short way back to the hotel. I asked if they would go have printed some documents  I had prepared, both to demonstrate some new booklet publishing ideas we are implementing and to go over the first part of an instruction manual I’m writing to assist our local contacts that have to organize or oversee certain local functions and activities.

They arrived back at 1:30 and around a table in the garden behind the hotel, we had a three-hour meeting to go over the documents and analyze the local situation for planning purposes. We discussed local needs of which there are many, did some budgetary planning and went over some financial accountability rules.

It was an effective session and I feel we got a great deal done. I said goodbye to Justin and Victor as they left, I won’t see them tomorrow; Jacob plans to drive me to the airport.

About an hour after the three of them left, two young adults, Loc and Claude came for a visit. They are thinking of baptism and had many questions they wanted to ask. We sat around the same table as before talked for two more hours, until it began to get dark. As I walked them to the front of the hotel, they said they really enjoyed having the time to talk to a minister, especially since my visits are only 2 or 3 times a year. It was a very pleasant meeting.

I’ll have a quick dinner and make it an early night tonight. Tomorrow I need to be ready to head to the airport at 7:00 to make sure we have time to make our way through the post-apocalyptic traffic to the airport. If all goes as planned tomorrow I should arrive late afternoon in Nairobi and spend a short night there on my way to Mauritius.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


Loma and Roma Miller on

Praying for your safty and success. Also for NO ill effects from the mosquito bites!

Jack Hendren on

Thanks for keeping us up to date as you travel. Very inspiring and interesting.

All the best,

Tess Washington on

Great to hear more and see more of our brethrens in Kinshasa! Wonderful to hear about these 2 young people's interest in God's way of life!

danielandcindy on

Thank you for these wonderful updates allowing us to get a better understanding of the world in which our African brethren live every day. Glad to read that your travels are going smoothly. It was good to read about Guy and Pierre and their families in Togo. You are in our prayers!

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: