Stuck in Sri Lanka-KC

Trip Start Aug 21, 2005
Trip End Jun 08, 2006

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Sri Lanka  ,
Friday, October 7, 2005

Hello!(this might be a longer email than normal!!)
Greetings from Cambodia! I just arrived here the other day and to be honest
it seemed like i would never get here!!
After leaving London (which i had a great time visiting friends) i arrived
10 hours later to Sri Lanka. I was warned in my guide book about touts at
the airport. Which pick you out at the airport and try to get you on a tour
or taxi. So knowing what to expect and how to avoid them i got picked out by
a tout and ordered a taxi. They were sneaky.
So they took me to my 4star hotel (which apparently was 5star before the
tsunami) and i paid hardly anything for my room but considering that im not
used to staying in hotels it denfintly was a dent in the pocketbook. But
they turned my bead down and put orchids on my pillow, u don't get that kind
of service at any hostels i know.
So, i was supposed to stay at this nice place for only a night or 2 till i
got my bearings. My first day out to wander around i wandered for 30 minutes
and went back to my hotel and booked myself into the hotel the rest of my
stay till the 5th. I just didn't feel safe as a lone female traveler to be
wandering around. And i knew if i did it i would be forcing myself to do it
and i would be lonelier. So, i managed to sleep in and lay at the pool.
Which may sound nice but i was bored out of my mnd!
Anyways, on to the stuck part. My flight was for Oct 5th at 2:30am. So
figuring out in my head i would need to be there 2 hrs early, leave 2 hrs
before that. So on Oct 5th i checked out got picked up at 10pm and only upon
arriving at the airport did i realize that in an hour it would be oct 6. My
own stupidity.
So after sucking it (after crying a bit) i realized i missed a connecting
flight to cambodia and i had friends probably worried sick. Tried calling,
no phones work. Went to buy a phone card, have to pass 5 security guards who
don't understand that i don't have a boarding card. Explaining it to each
one. Buy card. Doesn't work. So finally the woman who works for sri lanka
tries using her cell phone to text the states. Doesn't work. She ends up
texting her husband in Canada who calls jonathan with the number in sri
lanka and then he finally calls. All this taking about 3 hours. But hey i
have plenty of time now that i missed my flight.
So i sleep on a bench and wake up at 5am cause im on standby for the 7am
flight. No go. 2 spots left and im number 3. The next flight out of bangkok
doesn't leave for another 19 hours. Just my luck. By the way this is a dinky
airport. One resturant with no food and that's about it. I know that there
is a duty free shop and comfy benches beckoning me, but only once you have a
boarding card. Not a place you want to sleep for another day. So i pass
security 5 times explaining once again that im leaving and go check myself
into a dodgy hotel room down the street only to return for my 2:30am
flight...2 days later.
So i made it, Dave Everitt (friends of my family) picked me up on his
motorbike and we drove 15 minutes to his house with a 40lb bag on my back
fearful of me tipping the whole bike over and killing us both. But i didn't
(yea) . But goodness knows my arms are still hurting from holding on so
Well, i am alive still and hanging on. I will write after my next big
adventure!!! Love you all!!
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: