Day 6 Warrnambool to Apollo Bay

Trip Start Apr 10, 2005
Trip End Apr 10, 2006

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Australia  ,
Thursday, September 29, 2005

Today we officially started the Great Ocean Road and sods law it was tipping it down with rain. We ran from one attraction to the next and were well and truly soaked. I lucky had Dad's rain mac (dad to the rescue again, Thanks Dad). Chris had a throw away plastic poncho with really short sleeves. The wind kept inflating it and (his words) he looked like a huge grape.

We stopped off to look at the Bay of Ilands and the Bay of Martrys. Small limestone islands along the coast. Then the Grotto which is a grotto with a cool little arch type thing that looks out to sea. Our next stop was London Bridge which about 15 years ago was a platform going out to sea with 2 archways underneath. In 1990 the arch that was connected to the mainland collapsed into the sea stranding 2 tourists. Could you imagine how scary that must of been, they would have just walked over it. They had to be rescued by helicopter.

After that we stopped at Loch Ard Gorge, which was a ship that never finished its journey. It left Engalnd in 1878 with 54 passengers and crew and $100,000Au of Cargo onboard. It sunk here just off shore. Only 2 18 year olds survived Tom and Eva. They were washed up at the now named Loch Ard Gorge. A short walk takes you through the story which was really good and it ends at a graveyard, nice.

Our last stop was the 12 Apostles and the rain actually stopped for a bit. The 12 Apostles are famous Limestone stacks that tower out of the sea. There is now only 7 of them. One collapsed 3 months ago and they don't think that there was ever 12 so who knows where the name came from. You might be able to see a big black cloud in the photos towards the land. Well it politely waited for us to finish our photos then poured it down. We legged it to the tunnel that goes under the road but were completely sodden by the time we reached it. We then ran for the car. The ironic thing is that the day before we had beautiful sunshine and the day after we had beautiful sunshine, not the best timing.

We then followed the Great Ocean Road up into the Otaways. A huge hilly forest.It was so pretty. the rain had almost stopped and there was mist rising from the trees it looked almost eerie.

We went for a walk through the trees on a tree top walkway. It was really high up and you can go up a spiral tower to get even higher. At the top you are level with the top canopy. The tower swayed a bit which i found quite scary and didn't stay up the tower for long.

We drove onto Apollo Bay where we decided to treat ourselves. There was no way i was sleeping in a tent through a storm which is what it developed into. We checked into a nice hostel for the night.
Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: