Last day

Trip Start Aug 26, 2012
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Norway  , Trondelag,
Sunday, September 2, 2012

Saturday was predicted to be cloudy all day, but dry and still. Once everyone was up I suggested we spend the morning on the beach making a "boat" in the sand just below the high water mark, then take a picnic to a fishing village about an hour's drive away. I was surprised that this seemed to meet with everyone's approval, and I decided to make the sandwiches and pack the picnic before anyone changed their minds.

The construction of the "boat" was significantly aided by the fact that a Norwegian family had left a spade on the beach, so we got to work, having chosen a site near the top of the beach in front of the cafe.

Amazingly the construction process kept Chris and the girls amused for ages. When complete I went back to the house to grab some ponchos to act as seat covers. A Norwegian family (in fact, the owners of the spade!) came over to have a chat....they were very surprised to discover some English people in this rather remote part of Norway.

As the tide lapped around the edges of the "boat" we retired to the cafe for a drink and a game of Banagrams. Before we knew it, it was gone 2pm, and everyone was hungry. By now the clouds were high and a watery sun had appeared. We decided to give the trip to the fishing village a miss and had our picnic lunch on the terrace overlooking the bay...followed by an hour or so reading in the sun.

One of the waitresses in the cafe had told us the best way to get to the caves on the other side of the island, and Liz was anxious to visit them, so we set off (leaving Olivia at the house doing some homework) to explore. The path took us up the side of a fairly hefty hill, and we needed to be nimble at times, but eventually we found our way to the far side of the island and duly discovered the caves (well, one of them anyway). This being Norway, there was a little sign by the mouth of the cave (in Norwegian and English) giving the history of the caves. Katie and Chris went off to explore the rock pools while Liz and I watched a group of kayakers paddling gently round the island. After about half an hour we made our way back to the house.

Before dinner Olivia and I explored the beach for one last time, and found a huge jellyfish....lucky we didn't see any when we went swimming!

Our dinner was a good old English fry up - eggs, bacon, mushrooms, tomatoes, beans and fried left anything!

After a few more games of Banagrams we turned in early as the alarm had to be set for 4am! We had a two hour drive back to the mouth of the fjord, a ferry journey, then another hour to the airport. The weather this morning was rather grim - rain and dense cloud. We arrived at the ferry port about 15 mins before the scheduled departure and were the first car there - we were relieved to see a few more vehicles arrive shortly afterwards, and then the ferry appeared (thank God!)

By the time we reached the airport the clods were lifting, and it looked like a reasonable day in Trondheim. I'm writing this from the plane (which has wi-fi), so you may well read this before we arrive at Gatwick.

We've had a great time in a truly beautiful part of the world, where everyone seems incredibly friendly. Back to reality soon!
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: