Katie & Chris!

Trip Start Aug 26, 2012
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Norway  , Trondelag,
Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Tuesday was a driving day! Katie had thankfully recovered from her chest infection and she and Chris jumped in a taxi from Sherbourne, nice and early, headed for Gatwick. Meanwhile Liz, Olivja and I got in the car at Stokkoya and headed for Trondheim.

Our plan was to drive over to the mainland, spend a few hours in Trondheim, visit a supermarket, and then head out to the airport to meet Katie and Chris.

Shortly after we set off it started to rain, and the scenery, which had seemed so vibrant the day before, was now grey and rather forbidding. We made the 12.00 ferry across the fjord, and had parked up in the centre of Trondheim by 12.45.

Instead of lunch we had a sort of coffee and cake break, in a rather cool cafe called "choco boco". Olivia had an enormous hot chocolate which she couldn't finish, and I had what could be my only latte of the holiday (The coffee revolution hasn't yet hit Norway, it seems, and most places sell rather iffy filter coffee).

We spent a little time orienting ourselves in the centre of the city (ie, I sent us in the wrong direction for about 10 minutes, before I realised we were headed north, not south). Our destination was an Arts and Crafts museum which Liz liked the sound of, and indeed it was very good. There was a special exhibition of furniture from the 50s and 60s, plus some great crafty pieces which I'm incapable of describing!

Just over the road from the museum was Trondheim's cathedral, with a stunning frontage and a typically funky cafe! Parts of the cathedral date from around 1150, and Olivia and I went in to explore (Liz preferred the exterior!). The lighting inside was quite modern, but muted, and the interior itself quite plain, which meant the stained glass windows almost shone!

The centre of Trondheim was rather pretty - cobbled streets, and not much traffic. The busiest place was a supermarket where we did a quick shop and surprised ourselves by spending not much more than we would have done at home, for the same goods. Unfortunately we were in a bit of a rush as I had only bought two hours of parking, so we only catered for immediate needs.

We jumped back in the car and headed for the airport to meet Katie and Chris - who had an "interesting" landing as a result of the rather windy conditions. After another tortuous time trying to get across Trondheim without ending up in the suburbs (as we had done on Sunday), we just managed to catch the 5pm ferry, and were back in our little "cottage" by just after 7.

By now the weather had perked up, and we watched the sun go down rather spectacularly from our terrace, before dining on frozen pizza!!
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: