Trip Start Jun 02, 2012
Trip End May 31, 2014

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of France  , Corsica,
Sunday, January 27, 2013


After a wonderful nine days back in the UK seeing my family and having my timeshare week at Langdale in the Lake District, I packed my bags and drove back to Gatwick for my flight to Rome stopping overnight once again at my son's and having a last chance to cuddle my new granddaughter.  Fortunately for me the bad weather had hit the airports on the Friday and by Saturday morning, though delayed, I was heading back to Steve and Dunikolu now berthed at Olbia in Sardinia.

My bags were so heavy that by the time I had dragged and carried close on 40kg around with me through Gatwick, Rome airport, the train station and the ferry ports I was totally exhausted and my case had broken under the strain!  My arm muscles had surely gotten larger! Thank goodness for some young Italian men who rushed to my assistance when sorely needed but not the rip-off taxi-driver at Civitavecchia who charged me 15€ for a mile journey!  Steve was at the ferry terminal to meet me at 0600 and was my hero when he gallantly hauled my case onto his back and carried it a good mile back to the boat albeit with several sitdowns on the way. He hasn’t stood upright since…only kidding!

So I was back on board by Sunday morning and spent that day sleeping on and off to recover. The weather in the Med was not too good and we had torrential rain and winds gusting at 28knots in the marina before leaving Olbia on Wednesday when an expected weather window opened for us to move north to Corsica.

We passed through the archipelago stopping one night at Palau on our way and reached the mountainous island of Corsica next day at 4pm.  Our anchorage for the night was in a sheltered bay next to Porto Vecchio.  The following morning the wind had increased but it seemed ok so we set out for Solenzara16nm away.  No sooner had we left the bay when the wind increased to 25kn and the sea was full of white crested waves.  The wind was dead ahead so that meant we had to beat to windward (sailing at an angle to the wind) to sail so we kept the engine running, put one reef in the main and prepared to do battle.  With the wind speed reaching 33 knots regularly and 38knots at least once, the waves and spray washing over us (i.e. me) a few times and nearly 6 hours later with me helming and Steve doing the navigation we limped into the marina feeling like we ourselves had been beaten.  Great fun once you got the hang of it!

After our one night at Solenzara for free (no-one there as usual), we set off early for Porto de Taverna 32nm away and again we had to beat to windward.  By now we are old hands at this so off we go and prepare for a long haul.  Under normal conditions you would average 5knots an hour so 10 hours later we arrived at the marina as the sun went down and had a very cold last leg to get into shelter.  The office was closed but the guard came along later and took 21€ off us.  I actually felt colder than I did back in the UK.  The Corsican coastline was stunning with the snow-capped mountains and the lowlands green and unspoilt. 
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


pauline and roly on

love the variety of photos! had to smile at your problem with the luggage!(hope Steve has recovered?!) Not sure I fancied the 38knots!!??sounded a bit too much like some of our journeys to and from the RTIOW race!!cold here but dry today for a change! x

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: