The crossing to Ibiza (Jilly's journey to ....)
Trip Start Jun 02, 2012
83Trip End May 31, 2014
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
Hi all, well, as Jilly has said we waited in Valencia for a final forecast prior to setting off as the wind was still blowing at up to 15kts in the harbour. We were looking for confirmation of the shipping forecast that the wind was going to ease prior to making the 80nm passage which was planned as an overnight crossing so that we left and entered harbours in daylight. At 4pm I went to the marina office to see if they could give us a current forecast and obtained the Spanish met office forecast (in English) for the next three days. On returning to the boat I checked the online forecast for Ibiza waters. These all confirmed that the wind would ease and that the sea conditions would be smooth to slight around Ibiza overnight.
With this information and reassuring Jilly that the forecasts were fine and that things would only get better,we made our final preparations and cast off from the jetty ( albeit with a little dificulty in a cross wind) and made our way out of the harbour at 5.45pm just before sunset
After supper and with the conditions getting a bit more variable we made some adjustments to the sail and our course and then I went below to make my checks on local shipping via the computer (AIS). Jilly seeming happy on watch so I took an hour's rest before the next log had to be taken.
During this period things started to get a little more variable and although the wind had eased the sea was getting a bit wild with waves coming on us it seemed from two directions at once. This was making things a little uncomfortable and causing stowed items to move with some considerable noise at times. With a little more adjustment or at least assuring ourselves that all was well we settled into the crossing with the knowledge that we were making good progress.
By midnight Jilly was feeling tired and as we had agreed prior to setting out, I now took the watch through to 6 am and Jilly went below for her rest period.
The wind was now easing a little from a high of around 25kts at 11pm and was now 18kt and at 1am we now had 39 nm to go and had passed the half way point
Unfortunately Jilly's condition did not improve much for the rest of the journey and it was not untill about 6am that she was finally able to get some sleep having been exhausted by continuous bouts of sickness.
By 5am I had Ibiza's outline and lighthouse dead ahead on the horizon confirming our course and giving me a bit of a lift as we made our approach over the next few hours. The wind was now finally beginning to ease and the sea dropping a little which meant that our progress was also getting slower!
At around 9am Jilly was able to join me again and we made the harbour just before 10am and with the aid of the marina staff we were tied to the jetty and booked in by 11.30, Jilly then went straight to bed and after I had eaten some breakfast I took a bunk in the saloon so as not to disturb her and got my head down at last.
I have now promised Jilly that the next crossing will be in calm seas, even if we motor all the way, as I fear with another long crossing like this one I may be on my own!