Night and day out

Trip Start Jan 12, 2013
Trip End Mar 15, 2013

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Argentina  ,
Sunday, March 3, 2013

Probably the craziest 24 hours of my life was in Mendoza. I left about 6pm getting ready for a seven hour haul. The bus, of course, had to stop for border crossings. In total, almost two hours were spent waiting and crossing the border. I found it hard to believe that either so many people needed to cross the border that late in the evening and that there wasn't a more efficient process to get through.

Finally when I arrived at the hostel, it was almost 2am. I dropped off my stuff in the room and found that no one was in their beds. I went upstairs to the social area of the hostel. I met some of the people gathered there and they were friendly. Also, they were discussing where to go out. I really felt tired but decided that I wanted to experience the nightlife too as it was my only night out.

Most of the people I met were Americans and we went to out to a place called Por Acá, which was on Avenida Arístides Villanueva. It was a nice bar, but crowded. The weather was perfect though –cool enough not to get too sweaty with that many people and there was even air conditioning inside. I danced a bit with the Americans then ventured off to try to meet the locals. I chatted with the people the bar and somehow met a fellow who worked there but not that night. He boasted about how he taken photos that were now framed inside the bar. And how many of the posters of classic rock bands were his decoration too. It was interesting to meet his friends and how they seemed to detach themselves from the tourist crowd. I explained that I was visiting but not trying to be too much of a tourist. Somehow it earned me a few drinks on the house as well. Before long, I looked at the time and it was past 5:30am! The bar closed around 6am and decided to head back to the hostel. I feel asleep instantly when I arrived and could not wake up in time for breakfast.

With four hours of sleep, I tried to make the most of the day (knowing that I'd be back on the bus in the evening to sleep all I wanted on 10 hour ride to Buenos Aires). I visited the General San Martin Park and rented a bike there. I biked up a hill called the Cerro de la Gloria. It wasn't the best view from the top, but the monument was nice and honestly, the exercise was what I needed after being on the bus. I rushed down to return the bike and went back to the hostel to catch my next bus in the evening.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: