Koala spotting

Trip Start Jan 20, 2007
Trip End Mar 31, 2007

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Australia  ,
Friday, February 16, 2007

Hey! We made it into Australia early this morning. We're actually doing pretty well tired-wise. We had a really rough night. Among the concrete floor we slept on by the cold door, since we were by the exit we also were in the way of the traffic coming off early morning flights leaving the airport. TJ was on alert most of the night. Everytime he heard a voice that he thought was remotely near us, he'd look around to make sure our stuff was ok (even though it was right behind us and pinned against us and the wall). So he didn't sleep too well, he was paranoid. On top of all that, they seemed to be having troubles with their fire alarm going off 3 times in the night! It was brutal enough before that started happening. It was really loud. Impossible to sleep through (I think that's the point), but ah well. We had set our watch alarm to get us up at 3:50am to make our way into the international departure area to check-in. We slowly packed all our stuff up, amazed that our night of "sleep" had flown by so fast (and with so few zzz's). We headed to the check-in area, paid the NZ airport fee of $25 each, then checked in with JetStar, not Qantas, but apparently they are affiliated but we didn't get the movie screens in the headrest like we were looking forward to. But it proved to work out ok, since the movies didn't distract us from our sleeping. TJ jammed into his seat (they had little to no leg room at all), but we managed to both fall asleep shortly after taking off. We both slept for the better part of the over 3hr flight, which was well needed. Especially since we had to pick up our rental car at the airport as soon as we landed in Melbourne, so we didn't want TJ to be sleepy. We got the car (which is a baby blue Hyundai Accent) which was BRAND NEW, only had 173 kms on it!!!! We drove that far, just today. We're hoping they didn't give us this so that anything we do to it will be blatent for them to see. Any rock chip, etc. We're a little nervous about getting a door ding, but we only have it for a day and a half more. So we should be fine. We just thought it was weird that they charge us $70 extra for being under 25 yrs old, but then they hand us the keys for their brand new car. Yikes! We're enjoying it though. It drives sooo nice. Jess is especially happy since the Great Ocean Road, at times, resembles some of the windy New Zealand roads we have travelled. We avoided Melbourne city and went straight down the Great Ocean Road (GOR), which is beautiful once you hit the coast. We saw a Koala in the trees on the side of the road. There were cars stopped and people out taking pics, so we looked at what they were photographing and there he was just chilling out in the tree tops. We pulled over way down the road once we found a safe spot for our brand new car where it wouldn't get hit, and hiked back up the road to see it closer. It was pretty cool. But the whole time we're thinking about those tourists you see in Banff taking pics of the Moose or Deer, and we roll our eyes at them everytime. haha. Ah well. That was us. We got excited at the site of a sign warning of Kangaroo near the road for the next 7kms, but we didn't see any. We were sad, but the Koala made up for it later. We forgot to mention that in NZ we were pretty sure we saw a Road Runner. We had the road runner song in our heads for a week. Lucky there is no Kangaroo song to get into our heads. We stopped in Geelong for lunch, then stopped again at a beach in Lorne to relax and soak up the sun. We needed to recoup from the airport lack of sleep. It was glorious. TJ got a little burnt though. Jess wore sunscreen and is now much whiter than TJ, although parts of him are more crimson than bronze. At the beach, we went into the water to cool down. We were pretty near the only ones on the beach, and very few others were in the water. Jess was paranoid that some weird Australian bug/fish/plant was going to "get" them while they were there. It didn't help that there were plants floating and many small fish visible in the water. She also felt her arms getting all tingly and thought a jelly or something got her, but she realized after she had been reading with her arms in the air to cover her face from the sun. The blood was probably just getting back to the arms when she hit the water. She's pretty embarrassed. TJ told her she better not be worried the whole time. We found beach warning signs though, that tell you what to watch for at each beach (undertows, strong currents, rips, rocks, etc.) so she's relieved now. After the beach we continued onto Apollo Bay where we will stay for the night and relax and get a good sleep!! Nothing really else to report. This internet is pricy so we're out, talk soon.
Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: