Valle de los Ingenos & Peninsula de Ancon

Trip Start May 01, 2008
Trip End May 11, 2008

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
El Bolo Y Tahiri

Flag of Cuba  ,
Monday, May 5, 2008

This morning we met up with Leigh & Kara around 9:30 at our usual coffee shop and enjoyed a nice espresso.  We had to haggle quite a bit for a reasonably priced taxi for our day trip, but we got one for 22 CUC.  We went to a former sugar plantation at the Manaca-Iznaga estate. That part of our trip wasn't super great - there was a huge tower with a good view (there was no way I was going up!), and the grounds were kindof nice, but generally a bit of a waste of time.  However, we went to another hacienda down the road that was better - it's a converted restaurant now but the grounds were nicer, there were fewer tourists and the people who worked there were really friendly.  On the way back to Trinidad we stopped at the Mirador de la Lome del Puerto with a great view of the valley and the peninsula which was totally worth the stop.  That took us half the day, and then we headed back to Trinidad.

We ate lunch at one of the only good state restaurants in Trinidad, the Trinidad Colonial. The food was quite good and the prices were okay (15 CUC for two people).  I'm definitely getting tired of eating fish though!

We parted ways for a quick siesta and then met up again to head to the beach. The beach was increadible.  It was white sand, and the water was about 27degrees.  It was super fun watching Ross get into the warm water for the first time - he's used to the west coast where it's a little bit cooler. haha.  We lucked out in that it was cloudy so we didn't end up frying ourselves at all.  There were some people, but it was very calm - not a lot of children or people running about, and no loud music.  The only thing that was a bit disturbing was that on our way back into town, they were spraying for some sort of insect and all the spray got into our cab....a little creepy. 

After getting cleaned up we headed out for dinner.  We tried to go to the Paladar Estela, but it was closed - they were apparently having some sort of water problems....but we met the owner and she took us to another paladar.  I asked her if it was a legal one and she said yes, but we had our doubts.  It was called El Torrador, wasn't marked at all, and would have been impossible to find.  It was a bit expensive but good.  (In hindsight, we paid extra for a tropical wasting disease...).  10CUC per person included bread with whipped cream cheese, delicious yucca, salad, a harty serving of fish and fried plantain and rice and a beer.  The only sketchy thing was when one of the cooks came into the backyard / eating area, pulled the lid of a big oil barrel back, filled a pot for rice with water and walked back in.  We were a little worried by that....

After dinner it was back to the hostel to pack for Santiago!
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: