The day that turned around

Trip Start May 01, 2008
Trip End May 11, 2008

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Cuba  ,
Thursday, May 8, 2008

Ross and I both slept very well, but woke up with pretty upset bellies.  (Our sleep was aided by the '60s era Russian airconditioner.)We did manage to eat breakfast in our courtyard where we had the usual fare of eggs, fruit, and bread, but also accompanied by some of the best hot chocolate I've ever had in my life.  Delicious!   After breakfast we had to lay down for a while to regain our strength. 

On our way out we chatted with the other two guests - two anthropologists travelling with their two young children from the states.  They explained the situation with the airlines - Cuba received a few airbuses from Venezuela recently so domestic air travel is nowhere near as sketchy as it once was.  A nice option considering we had to get to Havana tomorrow.

We decided to take care of our administration first so went to Cubatour to check bus times.  It turned out that the bus that we wanted at about 5pm was full and the only other options were a 3pm bus and a 10pm bus.  It was a bit frustrating, but we opted for the 10pm bus that would arrive in Havana at noon.  We thought about flying, but the prices were a bit high, especially considering that while at Cubatour we'd also booked ourselves into the Hotel Nacionale for the last two nights of our stay. 

After getting our travel plans sorted, we went to the Bacardi museum.  It's not a museum about rum, it's the family's private collection that they left when they fled Cuba after the revolution.  It's quite the mis-matched collection, but facinating. 

After lunch we went looking for another bakery that could not be found. Damn you, Roughguide!  We really wanted some delicious sweets for our trip.  We did find a good corner store and got some water, juice and cola, although we had to fend off the advances of a guy who was trying to 'help' us buy the things we needed (even though it wasn't exactly hard) and then kept pointing to the open sores on his face and tried to get us to buy him medicine.  I was pretty unimpressed. 

We headed back to our casa - Maruchi had kindly offered for us to keep using the room and shower (she made it clear that if someone came, we'd still be welcome to shower before our bus trip).  She also made us dinner - we'd asked for something simple, so she made us a delicious chicken soup with rice - perfect for a bus ride.  We read and relaxed for awhile, then it was time to catch the bus.  Everything went smoothly and the bus left on time - Ross and I both took a gravol and I slept for the first nine hours straight!
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: