Knee deep mud, jungle and lots of ants

Trip Start Sep 07, 2010
Trip End Sep 01, 2011

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
A hammock

Flag of Colombia  , Magdalena,
Monday, December 13, 2010

After being starved and dehydrated on the boat i needed afew days to eat well, rest and get my chilled out Colombian vibe back.
So i ended up being convinced (tho not very hard mind you) to stay in Cartagena till Thursday and party; however by Thursday i had decided i had to make a move or i was never going to as days spent sunbaking by the pool, going out clubbing and then sitting on the rooftop terrance till after sunrise just seem to never end.

After another such night i managed to catch the 9am bus to Taganga, however instead of being a 5 hour bus ride the driver decided to go all the way to Tyrona Park first before dropping us off which added and extra hour onto our trip and meant we were starving by the time we arrived.
I met some really cool American guys who ended up in the same room as me (score 1 for eye candy) and 3 Aussies that were staying at another hostel.

Taganga is a really cool little beach town 5km from Santa Marta with a much more chill vibe. The beaches are good, the people friendly and bars and clubs open every night.

Sensations is the local club which is open every night of the week but especially goes off on a Wed and Thursday night for some reason.

Pooja (an American) i met it La Paz, Bolivia had made it up to Colombia and messaged me to catchup.
We met up at a Mexican restaurant in Santa Marta and it was nice to catchup with a familiar face and spend a girly day catching up on the goss and doing some much needed clothes shopping.

She was heading to Tyrona Park for 2 nights and invited me to come. Going camping on your own isn't much fun so i readily accepted.

The next day we were on a chicken bus from Santa Marta to Tyrona Park.
We had decided to bring some food snacks & water which we had stuffed into our day packs in an attempt to save money as we heard stuff in the park was pricey - nothing that required utensils (other than a pocket knife) however!

We had been told not to bring hiking shoes as the park was really muddy and that they would get ruined.
Really muddy was an understatement as most of the treck into the camp sites was knee deep mud and so we pretty much walked the whole 2 hours barefoot. It was a really fun and hilarious walk in and we were glad we had only brought light day packs.

Our camp site was 300 (Colombian) meters from the beach and we rented a couple of hammocks in an open air reed hut. The owner told us we wouldn't need nets as there was no mosquito's; we were rather skeptical at this however we didn't get bitten once!

By the time we had got ourselves sorted dusk was falling and it started to rain. Dinner was some wafer biscuits and an apple as we wernt really hungry and then we turned in for an early night.
The hammock was really comfortable and we were well rested when we awoke the next morning. The weather was really great; hot, sunny and not many clouds so we packed a day bad and headed down to the beach.

The beach where we were staying has a strong undertow and many people have drowned but it was only a short 30 minute or so walk down to the next main bay beach that was good for swimming.

Tyrona Park is like something out of Jurassic Park: rain forest and then then when you walk out onto that beach.... its hard to explain but its a massive expanse of beach edged by massive white rocks and coconut trees.   

After a good day at the beach we decided to get dinner at the campsite 'restaurant' where i got a surprisingly good fish dinner for $12,000 COP and played cards with some other backpackers also staying at the site.

One trek through the mud was enough so we rented horses to take us back out of the park for $16,000 COP which really was a good idea.
On the way in we had spent so much time looking at our feet and where we were stepping that we missed the beauty of the park and riding the horse allowed us a chance to appreciate it beauty before we left.
I saw a number of hawks & lots of butterflies, sadly no monkeys or toucans tho...

I said farewell to Pooja and headed back to Taganga to realax and do some much needed washing 

Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


Maureen on

Looks idyllic and relaxing-you needed it after the mud slog in!!!

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: