KL the town of two towers

Trip Start Jun 01, 2010
Trip End Mar 11, 2011

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Parkroyal serviced suites

Flag of Malaysia  , Wilayah Persekutuan,
Sunday, January 9, 2011

After a short night of sleep we pack up our suitcases ready to head out to Kuala Lumpur, the buzzling capital of Malaysia. We arranged a transport with Edmond around noon, but first we have our last lunch in Malacca. We found a cute little cafe in a side street with creative smoothies and nice local food. One last quick stop to the store where Linda bought her new clothes to get a last top, and off we go.

A two and a half hour drive will take us from Malacca to Kuala Lumpur. The drive is not really interesting, we see the same sort of landscape as from the train. Tons of palm trees. These trees are used to extract palm oil, which is used in all sorts of applications and even bio diesel. Along the way we have a short traffic jam caused by an accident. This happens a lot here, as the drivers like the ones from yesterday all think they are Formula One stars. Maybe it is the effect of having a Formula 1 circuit close by, who knows.

We arrived in Kuala Lumpur in the late afternoon, here we checked in to the Park Royal Service Suites. This is a brand new serviced suites hotel. The room is spacious, and equipped with a full kitchen. It is a bit gloomy in the evening and a little rain is falling from the sky. We decide to search the dry comfort of the Pavilion mall which is just a few blocks away from the hotel. It is just another mall as you would find anywhere in any Asian city. They were preparing for Chinese New Year at the third of February. At the entrance there is a big display with drums and of course rabbits as next year is the year of bugs bunny. We need a little break from Asian food, I can't believe I would ever write this. So for dinner we find a TGI Friday. We have a western low carb meal, some steak and veggies.

As we walk back to the hotel we find a street full of street hawkers. We buy some snacks for the hotel room and head back for an early night sleep, it has been a long day of travels.

The next day we try to explore Kuala Lumpur a bit, The town of the two towers, first there is the Petronas Twin towers,  This building is 88 floors high, same at the IFC in Hong Kong. But it is
counted as the one of the largest buildings in the world because the antennas on top of the towers are seen as part of the building, smart way to get in the books. The second tower is the KL tower, a big communication tower with an observation deck. But the rain is preventing us from getting too far. We visit the Petronas tower complex and have a lunch at the foodcourt. In the evening the rain stops, so we can head out to find some nice dinner.

First we try a Lebanese restaurant. But once we were seated we were surprised by the loud sound of drilling. We did not want to have dinner in a construction site so moved on, and again we stranded in Pavilion Mall where we found a decent Japanese restaurant. So far our experience of KL is not very exciting, there is rain and dinner or lunch at a mall. For the rest we have been planning for our further travels.

The following day, we find a clear sky and a warm sun. We decide to explore the town with the mono rails. This transport system is, like the rest of the public transport in KL, highly ineffective. The monorail has a two small subway like compartments that roam over the concrete rail about ten meters above the street. We take the train to the KL Sentral stop, where we get off and went to the central station. I don't exactly know why, but for some reason we did.

At the station we accidentally find a train to the Batu Caves. We recognized the name as we saw a tourist brochure of these caves at the hotel. Spontaneously we bought two tickets, only costing two Ringit, and got on the train. The train was dusty and there was a smell of sweat in the air. After some forty five minutes we arrived at the Caves station. The train conveniently stops right outside the entrance of the complex. We take some photos and climb the two hundred and seventy - something stairs to the caves. Quite an achievement in the boiling heat. At the top of the stairs we find the cave and a little temple. On the stairs there are little monkeys trying to get some food from the passing tourists. We take some photos of the cave and temple and make our way down again. It is an interesting place to see and a nice trip out of the town. We take the train back, which surprisingly is double the price. But still, all in all we spend 6 Ringit on the train and 3 Ringit for a bottle of water, so our visit comes up to 7 Ringit total. I remember the tourist brochure offering excursions to the caves for about 200 Ringit, so I think we did well.

Back at KL Sentral we take a light train to the station near the KL tower. We both did not feel like paying to see the same view as we see from our hotel room, so we stay downstairs, We have a coffee at a coffee shop and watched the commute of people leaving work.

Later that evening we enjoyed our dinner at Bijan a nice Malaysian restaurant near the hotel. This concluded our visit to Kuala Lumpur, a very different city than its neighbor Singapore. Less organized, not too clean and more chaotic. Sorry not much to tell about KL, as the rain prevented us form doing things here. But we did get a chance to plan a bit on our next stop, Thailand and Cambodia.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: