A very big dinner party

Trip Start Jun 01, 2010
Trip End Mar 11, 2011

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of China  , Macau,
Saturday, November 27, 2010

The photographer of A2 studios is at the hotel around 10:00. At first he could not find the room, but after a few phone calls he managed to knock on the door of suite 9052. He introduced himself as 'sorry I don't speak English' so I assured him of my inability to speak Cantonese. It all didn't matter, he was a friendly guy and we managed to communicate with hands and feet. We took a few snaps of me getting ready together with mummy before we went downstairs.

Here the car from the Four Seasons was already waiting for us. A nice and not too pretentious Mercedes S-350, decorated as it should be, in its own authentic black furnish, not spoiled by any flowers or ribbons. The driver got a bit lost in the small streets around Linda's parents' house, but after a short detour we stood on the doorstep of my beautiful bride.

She looked absolutely ravishing in her dress and with the soft and gentle make up. For the rituals I got off easy, I did not have to brush my teeth with wasabi toothpaste, or do 40 sit-ups or other kinds of haggling tricks. We stuck to the tea ceremony and of course the suckling pig lunch. We poured the tea for the elders and older brothers and sisters and exchanged red packets. The lunch consisted of the traditional sucking pig, together with noodles, rice, fruit salad and some other side dishes. The skin of the suckling pig was of Bordain quality, crunchy and succulent.

After lunch we headed out to the Lo Lim Ieoc park behind Linda's parents' house. It was here where I asked Linda to marry me about a year ago. We could not be more blessed with an almost blue sky, the weather was perfect. The photographers of A2 did an amazing job taking pictures in the park, and we had a lot of fun doing it. Although it does get to be a bit tiring after a while, one can only smile that much in a day.

The Mercedes brought us back to the Four Seasons hotel where we were welcomed by Myra, our banquet manager. She handed us the keys to our suite, but we went straight to the bridal room where Linda and her make-up artist, SinSin, had to do some prep work for the dresses and hair. For those who don't know, at a Chinese wedding banquet, the bride changes dresses about 3 or 4 times, and each dress needs a matching set of jeweleries and hair-do. I headed out to the room in the Venetian to get a change of clothes for the next day and some other things that we needed for the evening.

As the reception hall filled up with people, Linda and I got busier and busier. Everyone needs a photo and a little talk. We took our photos in the reception room next to the banquet hall as we did not want to have a photo backdrop in the banquet hall. This would ruin the nice décor of the room itself and we figured that logistically it would not be wise as well. We have previous experience that photo taking in the banquet hall delays the whole evening. We had to try to keep a tight schedule as many guests would need to travel back to Hong Kong after the banquet.

Our planning worked out perfectly, and around 20:30, everyone was seated and we marched in. The band played our favorite song, ' Fly me to the moon' from Frank Sinatra, and Linda looked like a movie star. After the cutting of the mock cake and a short and unprepared speech, dinner could begin. Around the 3rd course Linda disappeared, to return in yet another beautiful dress. We had a short speech on the stage, thanking everyone for coming, and did the toasting. This is when you go around the room with the people form the head table and cheers to every single table, all twenty three of them. Most of the tables are no challenge as they just raise a glass of juice or water, but some actually dare you on a glass of Jack. So by the end of the toasting ritual we were both moderately intoxicated.

After the round of cheering Linda's mom dragged us around the room a couple of times to make more photos. So all the food after course three or four passed us by. I never thought I would be hungry after a 12 course meal, but today I am. As the evening came to an end, on perfect schedule of course, people started leaving. It was time to shake the hands of the people that I have never met before, most of them I would probably never meet again. All formalities done, we hung around for a while with some friends to have some more drinks and chat. It was done, a year of preparation came to a conclusion and the result was magnificent.

The party was a big success, the venue was gorgeous, the food was good (I have heard) and the atmosphere was festive. Of course there were a few things that left room for improvement, but we will take those as lessons learned, in case we ever have to entertain 300-odd people again. But by any chance I don't hope this would be any time in the near future.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: