Off to Mexico

Trip Start Jun 01, 2010
Trip End Mar 11, 2011

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Mexico  , Yucatan Peninsula,
Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Wake up, check out, lunch, and off to the airport. A whole day of flying as we have to go via Mexico City to Cancun where we booked Villas Sacbe, a small resort at Playas del Carmen that has some apartments with a small kitchen. We got the name of a good guide from the Internet. We will get in touch with him tomorrow to make arrangements for some sightseeing, Our plan is to see some Mayan Temples, and maybe throw in a dive. As I am writing this I am cramped up in an AeroMexico plane, means to an end, only 1.5 more hours to go.

We arrived in Cancun around 11:30pm. The airport is relatively new and efficient. Once we got our luggage we had to arrange transport to Playa del Carmen. When you exit the baggage claim area there is an army of Taxi companies waiting for you trying to sell you Taxi tickets. We bought one from Hertz, and headed off to Playa del Carmen, a 45 minute drive from Cancun. Its one long road along the coast passing all the resort hotels on the left (beach) side. You only see the signs and entrances to them, no beach nor ocean.

Around 01:00am we reached our condo / hotel, Villas Sacbe, here we ran into a very unpleasant surprise. The Villas Sacbe property is managed by a group of different hotels. We booked our stay through which sold a package from the Porto Playa hotel (as it turned out to be). The hotel managed only 4 condos in the Sacbe complex, all ground floor, so our request for a high floor was useless. Once we checked in we found that our apartment was next to a street filled with nightclubs, the music was pumping loud and we could hear it clearly in our room. Next to that discomfort there was a tiny double bed in the bedroom of the condo, not what we had booked. So we called reception and got them to change our room. At first the night receptionist insisted that the small bed was a King size bed, later he claimed that the order for a King size was a request, but finally after our persistence he accepted the fact that this room was not what we had ordered and the noise was indeed unbearable. We got another room in another corner of the complex. Our new room had a proper bed, but we could still hear some faint music from the street.

As it was the middle of the night, the night receptionist could not change our booking so we had to stick it out in this room. We were very tired from a long day of traveling, so we managed to get some sleep....
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: